• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken Tooth Questions!

J

jrdunn

So I am 26 and have extreme dental fears. My teeth are good looking but I know there are issues (i.e cavities). I recently broke a tooth (molar 14 on the top) and went for initial consultation to get it fixed. The dentist said that I need a root canal due to decay, a post and core, and a crown. The out of pocket costs will be about $1700 after insurance not to mention how terrified I am! I am wondering what options I have including how bad it really would be to just pull the tooth under general anesthesia which would also be much cheaper. Any advice would be great!

Hi,

The crown does not have eto be made directly after the root canal treatment, in 99% of the cases it is perfectly OK to prostpone it to the following year.
I don't know what your fears are about but I would put my money that you will not feel any pain what so ever during the root canal treatment.

So I am 26 and have extreme dental fears. My teeth are good looking but I know there are issues (i.e cavities). I recently broke a tooth (molar 14 on the top) and went for initial consultation to get it fixed. The dentist said that I need a root canal due to decay, a post and core, and a crown. The out of pocket costs will be about $1700 after insurance not to mention how terrified I am! I am wondering what options I have including how bad it really would be to just pull the tooth under general anesthesia which would also be much cheaper. Any advice would be great!

That at price seems extremely high. I just went through ALOT of dental work and didn't even come close to 1700 out of pocket. Are you going to an in network dentist?

It is in network, but my plan does a fee per service. So instead of just saying here is $1000 they pay a certain amount for each service such as $500 of a root canal

Hi Jrdunn,

I assume in your case, the only two options are RCT or extraction, since it's a premolar, I would recommend RCT then crown, due the aesthetics as well as you don't want to lose the chewing and tearing function of premolar (assuming opposing tooth is present), also there might be a shift of teeth after tooth extracted, as there will be a space. Anyway, keep us updated on your decisions and all the best

Back