• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken Tooth saga, need advice please!

T

tigger1

Hi

Can anyone advise me please, Im waiting for an appointment at the hospital for an extraction (after 2 failed attempts at dentist). The tooth has now broken below the gum line following my dental appointment on Monday. There are tiny shards of tooth showing which keep breaking away.

The wait for my appointment is going to be about 7 to 8 weeks, if the tooth keeps breaking away so nothing is showing, then the gum heals over the socket, is it safe to leave the roots in and not bother with the appointment?

Thanks

Simple answer: No, its not safe, in the long-term, to just leave a broken tooth under the gums. I know the thought of extraction is scary, but put it this way: Save yourself from all sorts of possibly painful complications in the future, and have that tooth taken out. That way, you are dealing with it before it gets painful or infected, and you'll actually be saving yourself from all that un-needed pain in the future. What if it suddenly flared up during a weekend and you had to wait until the dentists were open on Monday? You would so regret that you had not dealt with it before it became a problem. So save yourself from all that aggro, and have it seen to now, while you are not in any pain! You know it makes sense!

Back