• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken top molar - nerve damage??

S

Scaredmummy87

Hello!

I had a broken top left molar (the one next to wisdom tooth) It broke during my pregnancy and then just last week I bit into a pizza crust and finished thr job :cry:
It had one side left that was wobbly and I was finding it hard to eat so I went to the dentist on Wednesday. Dentist said it would be difficult to extract as it looked a bit 'mushy' and there wouldn't be anything to grab onto. She said she could attempt it but because of my nerves and because I have 3 wisdom teeth that need removing too she wrote me out a referral to an oral surgeon. So off I went devastated and stressed about how I'd eat with this broken soft, loose tooth until I saw the surgeon. Anyway Wednesday night I was bending down and I felt the remaining bit of my tooth break so i touched it with my tongue and it was sitting there broken off (i had just eaten) I put my fingers in my mouth and it came off the gum which made me feel ill and reminded me of losing teeth as a child. Anyway now there's only gum left and maybe a tiny little edge left of that tooth and it feels so soft and yuck. Obviously the roots are still inside so I'll have to get them taken out during surgery. My question is though the next day my face feels kind of tingly/burning and I'm not sure if I'm making these feelings up in my head because I'm so stressed and anxious about my teeth and the whole breaking and losing a tooth or if its real??? Can you get nerve damage when a tooth breaks like that? I have been panicking and madly googleing and almosr taken myself to the hospital because I've convinced myself that my facial nerves have been broken from thid tooth breaking apart. I do suffer from anxiety and panic attacks so i am unsure if my mind is creating these physical symptoms or if its actually a problem.
Help. I'm so physically sick with worry I haven't stopped crying about it.

Thank you in advance

Hello!

I had a broken top left molar (the one next to wisdom tooth) It broke during my pregnancy and then just last week I bit into a pizza crust and finished thr job :cry:
It had one side left that was wobbly and I was finding it hard to eat so I went to the dentist on Wednesday. Dentist said it would be difficult to extract as it looked a bit 'mushy' and there wouldn't be anything to grab onto. She said she could attempt it but because of my nerves and because I have 3 wisdom teeth that need removing too she wrote me out a referral to an oral surgeon. So off I went devastated and stressed about how I'd eat with this broken soft, loose tooth until I saw the surgeon. Anyway Wednesday night I was bending down and I felt the remaining bit of my tooth break so i touched it with my tongue and it was sitting there broken off (i had just eaten) I put my fingers in my mouth and it came off the gum which made me feel ill and reminded me of losing teeth as a child. Anyway now there's only gum left and maybe a tiny little edge left of that tooth and it feels so soft and yuck. Obviously the roots are still inside so I'll have to get them taken out during surgery. My question is though the next day my face feels kind of tingly/burning and I'm not sure if I'm making these feelings up in my head because I'm so stressed and anxious about my teeth and the whole breaking and losing a tooth or if its real??? Can you get nerve damage when a tooth breaks like that? I have been panicking and madly googleing and almosr taken myself to the hospital because I've convinced myself that my facial nerves have been broken from thid tooth breaking apart. I do suffer from anxiety and panic attacks so i am unsure if my mind is creating these physical symptoms or if its actually a problem.
Help. I'm so physically sick with worry I haven't stopped crying about it.

Thank you in advance

Helpppppp!!!! I'm making myself sick with worry thinking my face is about to lose function or I'll die...help me please. Im so scared.

Hi there-- I am not a dentist so I can definitely not diagnose nerve damage. I can tell you that I lost a molar in a way similar to what you describe. It was the thing that finally got me in the dentist door after a long absence. I was super scared and didn't have the money but I made it work. The best thing to do, as hard as it is, is to get into a dentist and see what they say.

I doubt it is nerve damage but it may be infection. As you can tell from these boards infection is often present and not deadly but it is best to get it cleaned up.

Back