• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

brushing after meals?

T

turtlewurtle

hello! so 5 weeks and 2 days ago i got all my upper teeth extracted and i have an immediate denture, i was loopy for aftercare instructions, so im thinking i may have heard wrong, i still have a bunch of my bottom teeth minus 2 and i really want to take good care of them, they said to brush after every meal, and its getting exhausting, did they mean the dentures or my teeth? because my bottom teeth feel rough rather than smooth so i feel like im over brushing. if anyone could give me advice i would appreciate it im absolutely terrified of losing my bottom teeth

Last edited:
After every meal is a bit excessive. 3 times is more than enough for most people. Also brushing soon after meals isn't great, you should wait about 20 minutes to let the saliva neutralise the acid from eating.
They might mean to clean your false teeth, you should remove them and give them a quick squirt under the cold tap to remove any food debris.

DO NOT USE TOOTHPASTE ON YOUR DENTURE!

thank you so much! im prescribed a 5000ppm flouride toothpaste so i feel like 2/3 times would be enough i dont want to wear down the enamel and then face kore extractions, this is definitely enough lol

Back