• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Brushing teeth after oral surgery?

M

MountainMama

I had oral surgery on Friday, to remove a supernumary wisdom tooth. The tooth was right up against my upper left back molar, which had a root canal done about a month ago (it failed).

I was told to brush as usual, but avoid the incision site. I can't brush that back RCT molar for two reasons. First, it hurts to even have my cheek pressing on it right now, and second, the incision site it directly next to it, with stitches. If I try to get my toothbrush back there, it would brush the stitches.

I can't see the incision site either, as the temporary crown on the RCT tooth blocks it, but it is more next to the tooth than behind it.

So when can I brush that tooth without worrying about tearing stitches? I have the kind that will dissolve on their own. I don't want to introduce more bacteria into that tooth, so I will brush it even if it hurts! I started with salt water rinses yesterday, after 24 hours, as directed.

I am so nervous about doing more harm than good, and this whole process with the root canal and surgery are ratcheting up my anxiety again.

I had stitches when I removed my 2 impacted wisdom teeth surgically and was brushing my teeth gently and very carefully by the 2nd day. You are not likely to tear the stitches if you brush gently and carefully around the area. Just avoid brushing directly on the stitches, use a soft tooth brush and you'll probably have to watch what you are doing with a mirror.

I had stitches when I removed my 2 impacted wisdom teeth surgically and was brushing my teeth gently and very carefully by the 2nd day. You are not likely to tear the stitches if you brush gently and carefully around the area. Just avoid brushing directly on the stitches, use a soft tooth brush and you'll probably have to watch what you are doing with a mirror.

The incision site with the stitches is right up against my molar. I can't see it in a mirror at all, which is what makes me nervous. I don't know that I can avoid the stitches when brushing.

Another thing you could also try is to get a kids or baby toothbrush just for that area at least for the next couple of days until that area has sort of healed up.

Another thing you could also try is to get a kids or baby toothbrush just for that area at least for the next couple of days until that area has sort of healed up.

I tried this idea today (thank you!), but it is still too painful. I think one of my stitches came out, but I did talk to the oral surgeon's assistant and she said it should be okay for the stitches to be coming out at this point. It feels like the area is still pretty raw and sore, but it isn't bleeding so I am trying to just avoid touching that area, and just rinsing with salt water.

How are the other two teeth doing? Any better?

How are the other two teeth doing? Any better?

The root canal tooth is still sore, but I would expect that since it was right next to the surgical site. I am hoping it will get better, but right now it is painful to touch and has periods of shooting pain off and on.

The bottom molar still has that achy feeling, but hasn't had anymore shooting pain for the last day. I am cautiously optimistic that it is settling but don't want to get my hopes too high.

The root canal tooth is still sore, but I would expect that since it was right next to the surgical site. I am hoping it will get better, but right now it is painful to touch and has periods of shooting pain off and on.

The bottom molar still has that achy feeling, but hasn't had anymore shooting pain for the last day. I am cautiously optimistic that it is settling but don't want to get my hopes too high.

Oh I really hope that everything starts clearing up for you and you get a break!!! ?

Back