• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bruxism and Implants?

M

MountainMama

I have two new molar implants on the lower right (crowns put in last Wednesday). My dentist adjusted my nightguard again yesterday because I was waking up with pain around the implant on the first molar. It didn’t hurt to eat on and pain went away after a few hours of being awake. Last night was better but I still woke up once with achiness.
My question is: even with a nightguard, can the implants be “loosened” by clenching or grinding? Will it eventually ruin them? I am thinking long term, when I have a crown on the other side as well so no way to avoid pressure on crowns or implants.
I thought about switching to a lower guard but I will have an upper front tooth implant, so there would be the same issue, right?

How are you doing with this @MountainMama Hope a dentist answers :)

How are you doing with this @MountainMama Hope a dentist answers :)

I am starting to think that the implant is failing and it isn’t a bruxism issue. ? I have an appointment for Tuesday. Today the area around the implant is sore and achy. It hurt at one point when I bit down, eating toast.
I just can’t have anything done without new issues!

I hope there is some explaination and help !!

aghhh I know how frustrating this is to have issues.. keeping you in thoughts this Tuesday.. I'll be in the chair too ..

Hi MountainMama, How was your appointment? :clover:

Hi MountainMama, How was your appointment? :clover:
I didn’t learn anything. The dentist tried flossing to see if something was stuck and took x rays, then referred me to the oral surgeon that placed the implants. I have an appointment with him on March 31 now. I still can’t chew without some pain and there is an uncomfortable irritating feeling around the base of the crown.

Oww I'm sorry... I hope it will be an easy fix!

Well I called the surgeons office myself today to see about cancellations. The receptionist talked directly to my surgeon and he wants me to come in Monday. So at least I don’t have to await three weeks anymore.

That is awesome!! Glad they made a way to see you earlier!!

Is the crown on the implant screwed on or cemented on? If it is screwed on it may be that there is a tiny bit of gum trapped between the implant and crown which is getting pinched when you bite down, and this is causing the pain. I have had this happen a couple of times, and when I removed the trapped gum and tightened the screw all was well. Of course. this might not be the case with you but hopefully it it is!

Is the crown on the implant screwed on or cemented on? If it is screwed on it may be that there is a tiny bit of gum trapped between the implant and crown which is getting pinched when you bite down, and this is causing the pain. I have had this happen a couple of times, and when I removed the trapped gum and tightened the screw all was well. Of course. this might not be the case with you but hopefully it it is!
That would be great if that is all it is. I do have a screw retained crown. How can they tell? Would it show up in an x ray?
I am at the point where I am so scared of getting anything done, as everything seems to fail.

I took the crowns off and could just about see it under magnification, scraped it away and fortunately everything settled. Just as well, as I could not see anything else wrong in the mouth or on the x-ray.
Bruxism is such a pain in the botty. Keep wearing that nightguard!
So sorry you are having so many issues. People are sometimes told implants are a panacea but they are not without their problems. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

I took the crowns off and could just about see it under magnification, scraped it away and fortunately everything settled. Just as well, as I could not see anything else wrong in the mouth or on the x-ray.
Bruxism is such a pain in the botty. Keep wearing that nightguard!
So sorry you are having so many issues. People are sometimes told implants are a panacea but they are not without their problems. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

I see my oral surgeon on Monday, so I will ask him about that possibility if he sees nothing else wrong. The issue may be that the crowns were seated by the dentist, so the dentist would be the one to have to try that. I don’t know if he has a magnifier. Hopefully he does. I don’t want to get it redone if there is a simple solution like that.
I have never needed much dental work since I had all kinds of surgery done as a kid/teen, and now having everything fail on me is very terrifying.
Thank you for your input! I will definitely bring it up if the surgeon finds nothing else wrong.

@MountainMama I remember you had braces when you're younger right? Just a question as I have the tendency to grind and clench my teeth at night too. I'm using clear retainer for now and I'm getting an implant this year.

You mentioned that you're wearing a night guard. Is it a night guard + retainer?

Anyway, can your dentist! You gone through so much already, I really hope that this two Implants will work out for you. Have been following your story ever since I joined this forum as we have about the same situation :)

@MountainMama I remember you had braces when you're younger right? Just a question as I have the tendency to grind and clench my teeth at night too. I'm using clear retainer for now and I'm getting an implant this year.

You mentioned that you're wearing a night guard. Is it a night guard + retainer?

Anyway, can your dentist! You gone through so much already, I really hope that this two Implants will work out for you. Have been following your story ever since I joined this forum as we have about the same situation :)
I just have a nightguard...no retainer. It is hard plastic but with a soft coating inside. I just had it made last year, but my oral surgeon says I need a new one made. I can’t afford it right now, but will do that as soon as I figure out if the lower left molar is going to make it with a crown. No point in making a new one until that one gets fixed.
The oral surgeon said my implants looked great, so I don’t know. I haven’t had any more sharp pain and I started chewing gingerly again...nothing hard or crunchy. The gums get irritated every time I eat and have a lingering irritation for hours, and a dull ache. I am hoping it will fade over time.

Back