• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bruxism

K

klol

I recently went to the dentist who sent me to the endodontist for my right sided “teeth” pain. Endodontist said my xrays and scans looked good, my root canal that was done (to tooth 30) in July looked great, there wasn’t any infection, excellent bone health, blah blah. He did hot tests, tap tests on all the teeth on that side and none of them caused anything beyond a few seconds of slight discomfort that went away quickly. He told me that he isn’t an expert on bruxism, but the fact that I am unable to pinpoint my occasional pain and that I have so much pain in my jaw and throat leads him to think that I should continue talking to my dentist about bruxism, because he sees healthy teeth that don’t need anything done.

My question is, what have your experiences with bruxism pain been like? The amount of pain that I sometimes feel seems so disproportionate to grinding teeth, especially since the pain jumps from teeth to teeth and sometimes presents as sensitivity, sometimes very sharp pain, sometimes a dull ache, despite teeth being healthy(although definitely worked on with fillings and crowns). It seems like most people only have bruxism pain in the morning and it’s just in their jaw muscles and maybe their molars, and mine seems so different.

I have it all day, randomly though. I had a lot of trouble with jaw pain and pain in my neck. It changes from side to side and is not generally on both sides at once. I notice that it sometimes hurts worse after meals. In the morning when I wake up, my jaw feels tight, and my bite feels really off.

I recently got a custom nightguard and it actually made it worse for about a week or so but now I am adjusting.

I have a hard time distinguishing between pain in a lower molar and TMJ related pain.

I just got a nightguard 2 months ago. I was grinding my teeth at night and cracked fillings. It is still uncomfortable, but I had ear pain I kept thinking was allergies, but it is pretty much gone now!

Back