• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cadaver Bone Graft

L

LittleLynnie

My dentist wants me to get a bone graft to support an implant, and wants to use cadaver bone. He says that it works best, and he doesn't use other products. I know that I would never be able to live with cadaver bone, because my mental health would not be able to handle that. Should I ask again, and admit my illogical opposition to it, to see if he would consider using something else just this one time? I'm embarrassed to come across as a nut job, but I know myself well and had my first (and only) mental breakdown over something quite similar. I had talked myself into accepting something foreign in my body, but after a few weeks of fighting myself, I snapped. I do NOT want to go there again, but like this dentist and need the graft.

Heck I don’t blame you.

Perhaps you can ask him for a referral for a colleague who doesn’t use cadavers

I had synthetic bone grafting material for both of my bone grafts. I can understand where you are coming from with cadaver grafting. I think it is supposed to work better, but the ick factor is pretty high. I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for a different kind of graft.

There are also synthetic and marine plant based graft options.

Thank you all for your replies. Thanks for legitimizing my feelings, and for your other suggestions. Perhaps I can tell him that I'm icked out by the cadaver bone, ask for a referral and then he might relent and use an alternative, rather than lose my business?

Here’s how I might frame it:

“Hey, I appreciate all you do. You’ve really helped me. To be honest, inserting cadaver tissue into me simply isn’t going to work. Can you recommend an alternative? If you’re uncomfortable, professionally, with the alternatives, can you recommend a colleague who can effect this specific intervention?”

Then smile and see what he says.

Should I ask again, and admit my illogical opposition to it, to see if he would consider using something else just this one time? I'm embarrassed to come across as a nut job, but I know myself well and had my first (and only) mental breakdown over something quite similar. I had talked myself into accepting something foreign in my body, but after a few weeks of fighting myself, I snapped. I do NOT want to go there again, but like this dentist and need the graft.

Having preferences is fine and there is nothing embarrassing about it. It is your body and your mind and you decide what will happen. There is also nothing illogical about it, preference is what it is, a preference and dentists are more than used to people who are clear about what they want or do not want. My suggestion is to have a chat with your dentist and ask him for other options. Another option would be, as you guess it, to take a look around and see whether you can find another dentist who you like and who would be willing to work according to your wishes and needs.

Here’s how I might frame it:

“Hey, I appreciate all you do. You’ve really helped me. To be honest, inserting cadaver tissue into me simply isn’t going to work. Can you recommend an alternative? If you’re uncomfortable, professionally, with the alternatives, can you recommend a colleague who can effect this specific intervention?”

Then smile and see what he says.

This is brilliant :love:

And if the argument is that the dentist isn’t happy utilizing the alternatives because of questionable results then you can consider adding bone morphogenic protein which works great. In the USA it will add about 1000 to the cost though

Hmmm. I'll have to look that up! Thanks.

Back