• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Calcified stylohyoid ligament

L

LittleLynnie

I'm getting a little worked up because I saw my dentist last week and he casually mentioned that I have a calcified stylohyoid ligament on my left side. I didn't ask questions then, but looking into it on google, I'm wondering if this is something I need to do something about, and if so, how dangerous the treatment might be. I won't be seeing my dentist again until late summer, so would really appreciate some info. My main questions are: 1. Is this a common condition? 2. Will it get worse with time? 3. Could it have caused my eustachian tube dysfunction (had it for two full years now, and can't seem to find a remedy) and 4. Is surgical treatment safe/successful (this is the one that's really worrying me)?

Not really a dental question, this is a bit outside of our field, you need to speak to an ENT surgeon for proper advice.
As far as my very fuzzy recall goes:
1) No
2) Not as far as I'm aware
3) Maybe, the main symptoms from it seem to be a load of vague swallowing/ache things
4) No idea, sorry.

Thanks for your response. I had ASSumed that it was dental, because it was my dentist who pointed it out on a panoramic xray. I had a CT scan for my ETD via an ENT, and he didn't mention it. Interesting. I think that I'll ask my GP about it next (now that it isn't a dental issue).

Back