• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Calcium hydroxide cause severe pain or lasting issues?

K

Kns

Can calcium hydroxide medicament during root canal procedure cause severe pain and lasting damage? I have had six root canals in my life and the last three were done in two sessions each with calcium hydroxide placed in the tooth in between appointments. Each time I had the most severe pain of my life in those teeth in between sessions. It felt like a pressure was building inside my teeth and might explode. It felt like I was being stabbed or shot inside my tooth. Several times it felt like acid was pouring out of the bottom of my tooth into the nerve and bone. I’m not sure if that would even be possible but that’s how it felt. The pain would be severe, quick, and leave a lingering bad dull pain in the area for a few minutes. It was awful, scary, no warning, and left me in tears each time. The endodontist didn’t seem to offer any reasons for the pain. I never had any similar pain with my teeth that were root canaled in one session. My question is - could the calcium hydroxide have caused this? Is permanent damage possible? The last two of these teeth have never fully healed - still feel pain (one is increasing in pain quite severely), no signs of infection on xrays or CBCT, no signs of cracks, root canals look “beautiful”. Does this type of pain in between appointments indicate something else? I don’t know what to do with these teeth as the endos and dentists seem to have no answers for my continued pain and pressure feeling. The only thing different with these teeth that aren’t settleing is that severe pain with the medication in two sessions. Help! It’s been nearly a year with increasing post root canal pain.

Can calcium hydroxide medicament during root canal procedure cause severe pain and lasting damage? I have had six root canals in my life and the last three were done in two sessions each with calcium hydroxide placed in the tooth in between appointments. Each time I had the most severe pain of my life in those teeth in between sessions. It felt like a pressure was building inside my teeth and might explode. It felt like I was being stabbed or shot inside my tooth. Several times it felt like acid was pouring out of the bottom of my tooth into the nerve and bone. I’m not sure if that would even be possible but that’s how it felt. The pain would be severe, quick, and leave a lingering bad dull pain in the area for a few minutes. It was awful, scary, no warning, and left me in tears each time. The endodontist didn’t seem to offer any reasons for the pain. I never had any similar pain with my teeth that were root canaled in one session. My question is - could the calcium hydroxide have caused this? Is permanent damage possible? The last two of these teeth have never fully healed - still feel pain (one is increasing in pain quite severely), no signs of infection on xrays or CBCT, no signs of cracks, root canals look “beautiful”. Does this type of pain in between appointments indicate something else? I don’t know what to do with these teeth as the endos and dentists seem to have no answers for my continued pain and pressure feeling. The only thing different with these teeth that aren’t settleing is that severe pain with the medication in two sessions. Help! It’s been nearly a year with increasing post root canal pain.
I am sorry to hear of your situation. I am not sure of the effects of the chemicals used but I am 6 weeks out from a root canal that has not settled and feels painful. It also looks fine on x rays. Sorry I can't add anything regarding your question. Hope your teeth finally settle. I don't think endodontists have any good answers as to why some teeth don't settle. They just don't. Totally frustrating.

Thanks! I’m sorry you’re experiencing pain after a root canal, too. I hope yours settles soon! This pain is the worst! Hang in there.

CaOH2 is the preferred medication to get resolution prior to completing a root canal. It is generally considered the best medication to use in order not to have pain. Problem: In general post endo pain is difficult to predict with reliability.

CaOH2 is the preferred medication to get resolution prior to completing a root canal. It is generally considered the best medication to use in order not to have pain. Problem: In general post endo pain is difficult to predict with reliability.
Can post endo pain go on for weeks or maybe months and still signify a successful root canal?

Can post endo pain go on for weeks or maybe months and still signify a successful root canal?
Persistent pain beyond a few weeks is a bad sign. A good sign is pain reduction.

Back