• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Calculus

W

WorriedIncisor

I have braces and on the brackets there is quite a bit of calculus, I clean my teeth 3 times a day as instructed and there is no calculus on my teeth just on the brackets, will this mean I’ll have cavities when my braces are removed, does calculus on brackets matter?

Hi WorriedIncisor,

A little calculus on the brackets will not cause cavities as long as your diet is good and you are keeping the teeth clean. Are you sure it is caculus and not the cement used to hold the bracket in place?

Hi WorriedIncisor,

A little calculus on the brackets will not cause cavities as long as your diet is good and you are keeping the teeth clean. Are you sure it is caculus and not the cement used to hold the bracket in place?

Definetly calculus, I brush my teeth 3 times a day but there is always a small amount of calculus build up on my brace. There is a small amount of a couple of my teeth but this is due to hard to reach areas. If a small amount of calculus is left on a tooth can it cause a cavity? Thank you!

Back