• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Calling the dentist tomorrow

M

MountainMama

Ugh. So the bone grafting is coming out from my extraction site. I was super worried about it, since the dentist didn't stitch it or cover it with a membrane. I wasn't expecting that, so it was a surprise. The dentist left right after he did it, and I couldn't really talk because my mouth was full of gauze.

I had a few pieces come out over the weekend, but the site was overstuffed, so it still looked full. Today, it has been crumbling slowly. I kept getting pieces in my mouth, but when I looked, it would still look full. Then tonight, a fairly large piece came out (size of a small pea). I looked at it in the mirror, and there was still grafting material, but it was sunken down. About an hour later, I felt another piece, smaller this time. When I looked at it again, grafting material was raised above the extraction site. So it is rising up and crumbling out.

I really wish I had been able to get in at the oral surgeon to get it done, not at the dentist. I knew having it open was a bad idea. I am going to be so upset if I have to pay again to get it redone at the oral surgeon.

Plus, my dentist is so busy that I probably won't get in for two weeks. When I got the tooth extracted it was a cancellation. Otherwise I would have had to wait until August!

I'm so sorry this happened to you. From just a common sense perspective it seems it would be important to have some sort of barrier to stop the graft material from working its way out. And the wait times are just an awful thing to deal with when you need help. I hope your dentist has a proper solution that he can offer you quickly.

I called this morning and the receptionist said the dentist was really busy and she would take a message for him. So I wait. In the meantime, the graft rose again last night so that it was like a big bubble over the top of the extraction site. Right after I got off the phone another big chunk broke off, the size of my pinky nail. Now the graft is level with my gums again but it is still coming out in tiny pieces continuously.

I called this morning and the receptionist said the dentist was really busy and she would take a message for him. So I wait. In the meantime, the graft rose again last night so that it was like a big bubble over the top of the extraction site. Right after I got off the phone another big chunk broke off, the size of my pinky nail. Now the graft is level with my gums again but it is still coming out in tiny pieces continuously.

I hope he can get back to you ASAP. :XXLhug:

I hope he can get back to you ASAP. :XXLhug:

The receptionist just called back and said he is going to squeeze me in tomorrow afternoon. She said to start saving the pieces that come out in a ziplock. :unsure: I told her I would try, but that it is continuously coming out in tiny pieces that I keep swallowing.

The receptionist just called back and said he is going to squeeze me in tomorrow afternoon. She said to start saving the pieces that come out in a ziplock. :unsure: I told her I would try, but that it is continuously coming out in tiny pieces that I keep swallowing.

Totally ignorant about bone grafting but why save it? Wouldn't it be totally contaminated by now? Is it something they can sterlize before they pack it back in? I can't tell you how sorry I am that this is happening to you. There just doesn't seem to be even a little bit of respite from the problems.

Totally ignorant about bone grafting but why save it? Wouldn't it be totally contaminated by now? Is it something they can sterlize before they pack it back in? I can't tell you how sorry I am that this is happening to you. There just doesn't seem to be even a little bit of respite from the problems.

I am guessing they want me to save it so they can actually see how much is coming out. I feel like my teeth and mouth are following Murphy's Law.

So the dentist did an x ray, and it showed that one root "hole" was filled and one was empty. He said that as long as the top of the hole was covered, the gum won't fill it in and I will be fine. He even scraped a little of the bone grafting off the top, and said it would help facilitate the gum growth if it was lower, and less likely to fall out. Ouch! The area had not been painful until he did that, now it hurts. He said to be careful what I ate until the gums grew over the top, and that more grafting may come out but not to worry unless another big chunk comes out. Ugh, hard not to worry!

Back