• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Calling the endodontist today

M

MountainMama

I really don't want to call, but I need to. My front tooth still has pain in the gums behind the tooth, after the root canal and apicoectomy. The tooth still has pain when touched or pressure is applied, even gently.
I know this means I need to get it extracted, but this one is harder than any other to accept since it is my front upper tooth.

I have started to call and have hung up several times. I am just not ready to set this in motion. This will be the third tooth extracted in less than a year, and the second implant I will need to get. I don't even want to think about the cost. I don't want to think about wearing a temporary flipper for months on end. Since I had so much bone loss from the abscess, and then had the apico, I can't get an implant right away...have to do bone grafting and wait.

I’m so sorry you’re going through this, truly. I’m keeping you in my thoughts today. After this is all said and done, may you have 20+ years of great dental karma and nothing but routine cleanings!

I really don't want to call, but I need to. My front tooth still has pain in the gums behind the tooth, after the root canal and apicoectomy. The tooth still has pain when touched or pressure is applied, even gently.
I know this means I need to get it extracted, but this one is harder than any other to accept since it is my front upper tooth.

I have started to call and have hung up several times. I am just not ready to set this in motion. This will be the third tooth extracted in less than a year, and the second implant I will need to get. I don't even want to think about the cost. I don't want to think about wearing a temporary flipper for months on end. Since I had so much bone loss from the abscess, and then had the apico, I can't get an implant right away...have to do bone grafting and wait.
So sorry to hear this. ? yournin my thoughts today as well

:grouphug:Sorry Mountain Mama. I agree and really hoping this turns around for you!

Thanks everyone. I made the call, and the answering machine picked up, so I left a message. They called me right back and had a cancellation for tomorrow. Yikes. I guess I will get it over with this way.
I am just discouraged. This summer was to be our very first family vacation. Our youngest is 8, and we have never been able to do a real vacation. Usually we just do day trips. We have been saving for this, and my husband bought tickets and hotel reservations back when we thought I would be done with dental stuff by summer. Now, I may be facing this without my front tooth, which will be difficult for me. I just hope I can chew again by then!

Hi,

Is a bridge an option? Usually dentists prefer an implant but a bridge is also a legitimate treatment. It takes also shorter time.

Hi,

Is a bridge an option? Usually dentists prefer an implant but a bridge is also a legitimate treatment. It takes also shorter time.

My teeth on either side are healthy and have never had any dental work, so I would hate to put crowns on them for a bridge. I want to get an implant, but I dread the thought of going without a tooth for so long. I know I will need extensive bone grafting for the abscessed area. The endodontist is going to refer me to the same oral surgeon that extracted my two molars, and did the last implant. He does good work and I really like him.

I do want to be able to bite with my front teeth again. I also know it is better to just go into debt short term to get the implant now, as it will save me money long term, rather than trying "filler" treatments to hold off until I can save up for it. I am just not looking forward to going through another surgery in that area. The apico gave me sinus infections non stop for a month, and I still can't blow my nose without the front tooth feeling weird and sometimes hurting. When I sneeze I feel pain in the roof of my mouth right behind my front tooth, where the abscess angled back into the palate. It isn't bad pain, just a dull ache.

There is another option for a temporary solution: an immediate Ribond reinforced bridge. It does not require drilling off the adjacent teeth.

There is another option for a temporary solution: an immediate Ribond reinforced bridge. It does not require drilling off the adjacent teeth.
I don't know anything about this. I will do some research, and ask my oral surgeon about it. Thank you!

I just looked it up and it looks like a good temporary option that isn't too expensive. I like the idea of not having a bulky flipper in for 8 months. Will it last for 8 months? I will definitely ask the oral surgeon about it!

I just looked it up and it looks like a good temporary option that isn't too expensive. I like the idea of not having a bulky flipper in for 8 months. Will it last for 8 months? I will definitely ask the oral surgeon about it!
That is a good question. It depends on how much force is applied. I would do that only with a dentist who has experience using it.

I am so sorry to hear this. The apico on my upper front tooth also failed and I had to have a bone graft before my implant. The temporary front tooth solution for me meant that my front teeth were only really “show teeth”. I only ate food that could be delivered to my mouth via cutlery or very small pieces. No front teeth biting. This is not as limiting as it sounds and can be done.

I know exactly how you are feeling. It is a long and expensive journey to end in failure. Thinking of you

That is a good question. It depends on how much force is applied. I would do that only with a dentist who has experience using it.

I have no problem not using my front teeth for awhile yet. I haven't used them since October. I have no idea if my oral surgeon is experienced in this or not. So if he has never done it, but agrees to try, I shouldn't do it?

I am so sorry to hear this. The apico on my upper front tooth also failed and I had to have a bone graft before my implant. The temporary front tooth solution for me meant that my front teeth were only really “show teeth”. I only ate food that could be delivered to my mouth via cutlery or very small pieces. No front teeth biting. This is not as limiting as it sounds and can be done.

I know exactly how you are feeling. It is a long and expensive journey to end in failure. Thinking of you

Thanks. Yes, I haven't used my front teeth since October anyway, so doing it awhile longer won't bother me as long as the pain is gone and the end result is a new tooth. Do you mind if I ask what temp solution you had?

Thanks everyone. I made the call, and the answering machine picked up, so I left a message. They called me right back and had a cancellation for tomorrow. Yikes. I guess I will get it over with this way.
I am just discouraged. This summer was to be our very first family vacation. Our youngest is 8, and we have never been able to do a real vacation. Usually we just do day trips. We have been saving for this, and my husband bought tickets and hotel reservations back when we thought I would be done with dental stuff by summer. Now, I may be facing this without my front tooth, which will be difficult for me. I just hope I can chew again by then!
:( This is so hard isn't it? Wishing you as best an experience as it can be. How disappointing for you x

Thinking of you today Mountain mama!!

:( This is so hard isn't it? Wishing you as best an experience as it can be. How disappointing for you x

Well the news is worse than I thought. The endodontist pressed on the gums up by the roots and it hurt. She was concerned and tested my teeth next to my front tooth. The one next to it on the right (not front on other side), was sensitive to percussion and had a little lingering sensitivity after endo ice. She is concerned that it may be infected now, as the root tip is right on the edge of the abscess area. So she wants me on a strong antibiotic (clindamycin), and wants to wait 6 weeks to see if that tooth gets worse. She said it wouldn't do any good to pull the front tooth if the other one is infected as well, and if i want an implant, it would be better to pull them both at the same time, so there isn't two different healing times.

Bes case scenario is if the infection is just in the gums. However, she took a new CBCT scan and there was a place that concerned her, where it looked like a piece of bone had separated and had infection behind it. It was way at the end of the abscess area, in the palate side. She wants me back in 6 weeks for a new x ray to compare.

This is just so discouraging. I have never taken any antibiotic stronger than amoxicillin, and the doctor is concerned about c.diff since I have been on so many antibiotics

Well the news is worse than I thought. The endodontist pressed on the gums up by the roots and it hurt. She was concerned and tested my teeth next to my front tooth. The one next to it on the right (not front on other side), was sensitive to percussion and had a little lingering sensitivity after endo ice. She is concerned that it may be infected now, as the root tip is right on the edge of the abscess area. So she wants me on a strong antibiotic (clindamycin), and wants to wait 6 weeks to see if that tooth gets worse. She said it wouldn't do any good to pull the front tooth if the other one is infected as well, and if i want an implant, it would be better to pull them both at the same time, so there isn't two different healing times.

Bes case scenario is if the infection is just in the gums. However, she took a new CBCT scan and there was a place that concerned her, where it looked like a piece of bone had separated and had infection behind it. It was way at the end of the abscess area, in the palate side. She wants me back in 6 weeks for a new x ray to compare.

This is just so discouraging. I have never taken any antibiotic stronger than amoxicillin, and the doctor is concerned about c.diff since I have been on so many antibiotics
I just can’t believe this ☹️ I hope the antibiotic does the trick for your other tooth your having such a time of it maybe the stronger antibiotic will finally get rid of the infection. keeping you in my thoughts big hugs

I just can’t believe this ☹️ I hope the antibiotic does the trick for your other tooth your having such a time of it maybe the stronger antibiotic will finally get rid of the infection. keeping you in my thoughts big hugs

Thanks. It is getting so hard to stay positive now. It just seems like every time I get one thing fixed there are two more problems. After going more than 20 years with no dental work needed, and healthy teeth, this is overwhelming to say the least.

Thanks. It is getting so hard to stay positive now. It just seems like every time I get one thing fixed there are two more problems. After going more than 20 years with no dental work needed, and healthy teeth, this is overwhelming to say the least.
I know I just can’t believe this is all happening to you like this. Just doesn’t seem right or fair. I hope things settle for you. I think you’ve had enough already ?

Back