• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can’t take anymore.

Well. I went for my impressions today. My husband asked if I wanted him to go with me, and I said no, I’ll be fine. Lol. Yeah that was a lie. I feel like such an idiot, but I got through it. I thought I was getting through this stupid phobia, but it’s still lurking, waiting to pounce and make me want to run away and hide. 2 & 1/2 weeks until my next appointment, for the full extraction. And, bonus points.... the doctor said that because of one of my medications, I may not go under as deeply as someone not taking that medicine. So I can add this mess to the rest of the messes in my life right now. I’m so tired of struggling through each day, and nothing is getting easier.

Hi?I’ve not been on this site for ages but I’ve just read your posts and I think your so brave! I’m terrified of the dentist, I keep making and cancelling appointments ?I found a great dentist but he retired so now I’m back to square one! I’ve had teeth out and I have denture at the top but like you I’d like all mine out if just to stop the pain. I wish you all the luck in the world and I wish my husband was as supportive about it cos mine just tells me I’m being silly. You’ve got this and just think how amazing it will be to smile again ?x

Thinking of you Boxer mom.. you indeed are brave... :grouphug: I hope things get easier some how as soon as they can!

I wanted to find your thread so that I could encourage you too, Appointment Buddy :)

Is there a way that you can stop the medication a couple days prior to appointment for the sedation? I know some medications you can't, but maybe for a day or two wouldn't hurt.

PS, you are super brave. I am going through my braces stage at age 24, and it is the best and worst time of my dental life. I don't mind going to the orthodontist actually. They are really nice and always ask about my poodle. I can always go alone with no issues, and have no awful headgear that you mentioned. I couldn't imagine. I would just be a hermit if I had to wear it.

You've got this though. Is your hubby taking you? My MIL usually takes me, because of my hubby's autism. He can't handle my anxiety when it is that peaked.

I wanted to find your thread so that I could encourage you too, Appointment Buddy :)

Is there a way that you can stop the medication a couple days prior to appointment for the sedation? I know some medications you can't, but maybe for a day or two wouldn't hurt.

PS, you are super brave. I am going through my braces stage at age 24, and it is the best and worst time of my dental life. I don't mind going to the orthodontist actually. They are really nice and always ask about my poodle. I can always go alone with no issues, and have no awful headgear that you mentioned. I couldn't imagine. I would just be a hermit if I had to wear it.

You've got this though. Is your hubby taking you? My MIL usually takes me, because of my hubby's autism. He can't handle my anxiety when it is that peaked.
Hey CollegeBound - appointment buddy!!
As for stopping the medication, I asked the doctor about that and he said it wouldn’t make much of a difference and that’s what I figured because it’s an antidepressant. They take so long to work out of your system a few days missed won’t matter.
I was only about 12-13 when I had braces and I hated my orthodontist. It was always a bad experience when I had to see him. Glad yours is someone you’re comfortable with.
Yes my husband is taking me. He’s the only one that could actually. My mother and MIL would not be able as they’re both in their 70’s and don’t get around so well, and that’s about all the family I have around here. Thanks for saying I’m brave but I don’t know if that’s true. Most days I struggle to get out of bed and function, but I have a really great job and boss and I don’t want to lose that. My son’s a recovering addict and it’s been so rough the last two years with that. I’ve been in therapy for six years now, and I don’t see that ending anytime soon. A lot of things have happened this year that I never expected. But I’m not the type of person to give up and sit around feeling sorry for myself. I’ve been through worse, and I know I can get through this. This forum has helped me so much.

You are a bad ass, just so you know. I think that you are super brave and strong. We all have had our fair share of battles, but they are the reason we grow as a person.

I take antidepressants too. I get really sick if I miss a dose, so I can understand that. I get withdraw symptoms almost on the dot if I forget my medicine.

Hi boxermom I know your next appointment is in a day or so and I just want you to know that I’m rooting for you. I still haven’t got up the courage to call and make my first appointment but look at you. You are well on the road to a fresh start in life.

Good for you! :welldone:

Hi boxermom I know your next appointment is in a day or so and I just want you to know that I’m rooting for you. I still haven’t got up the courage to call and make my first appointment but look at you. You are well on the road to a fresh start in life.

Good for you! :welldone:
Thank you Frozen! Yes my appointment is tomorrow. I’ve been so busy at work getting things done because I’ll be off two days that I haven’t had much time to think about it, so that helps.
I’m rooting for you as well... you’ll know when the time is right, and we’re all here for you.

Good luck for tomorrow boxermom, hope all goes well , my appointment is in just under 4 weeks for my first sedation I'm having the loose ones out and then the remainder 2 weeks after with sedation again .

Good luck for tomorrow boxermom, hope all goes well , my appointment is in just under 4 weeks for my first sedation I'm having the loose ones out and then the remainder 2 weeks after with sedation again .
Thank you Scarycat! Today’s been rough, but it’s almost here. My job has been super stressful lately, and I had a lot to get done before I took time off, so it’s been very distracting. Mini crisis this morning, but just want to get through tomorrow. Good luck on your appointments as well!!

You got this, Boxermom. You’ve already showed how courageous you are. You got this far and will just keep chugging along. Treat yourself to something nice after your appointment, and don’t forget... you’re a rockstar!

Any news regarding how it went?

Hey all, big appointment over with... I have to say that my dentist and his staff have got to be some of the nicest people I know. I can’t say I enjoyed it, but they did everything possible to make sure I was comfortable. I have a massive headache right now, so I’ll update more later when I can.

Hi glad to know you are ok , have been thinking about you and wondering how you had got on .

So glad to hear Boxermom!! HOpe you can get some rest and ridof the headache.!

I’ve been thinking about you today. So glad to hear it’s over with and you’re okay. Hope your headache goes away soon!

Thank you all for the support! I mentioned to my therapist yesterday about finding this site and how much it has helped me. She said she was proud of me, and so glad that it has been helpful to me. I’m thinking of starting a new thread... maybe this one should end because I’ve done something that 4 months ago I would never have thought possible. I remember writing that first post, crying, my heart & mind racing with fear and shame. I know I will still have to deal with my phobia, but I feel like I’m not alone anymore... because of everyone here. And that helps immensely. I know it seems like such a short time, those 4 months, but it wouldn’t have happened that quickly without you guys, and my husband, my mother in law, and my dentist and his lovely staff. I almost backed out this morning. I wanted to so bad. But I thought back to my first post, and it made me stop and think.... I really couldn’t take it any more. I had to move forward, I had to take that huge scary step. Yesterday was so bizarre, I kept thinking I just don’t know what to expect and if I can handle it. But then I’d force myself to think of how my life’s been dealing with the pain, not being able to eat so many foods, how ashamed I feel, not being able to smile. So here I am, sitting here writing this, my face is still swollen, partially numb, not in a huge amount of pain, but definitely uncomfortable - oddly my lips are very sore. Even though I was sedated, I do remember a lot, but it’s got a dreamlike feel instead of memory, so it’s hazy and hard to hold onto. And in the middle of this, I just got a phone call from the dentist checking up on me.... at 8:30 in the evening!
So enough rambling, I’m thankful for everyone here and everyone’s thoughts!!

That's great news! How did the rest of your recovery go?

I'm in a similar position, I need to have IV sedation due to my intense phobia... :( I also take anti-depressants and I'm still worried about it even though I had it done before with no bad side effects. If you have any other details to share that would be great. Thank you.

That's great news! How did the rest of your recovery go?

I'm in a similar position, I need to have IV sedation due to my intense phobia... :( I also take anti-depressants and I'm still worried about it even though I had it done before with no bad side effects. If you have any other details to share that would be great. Thank you.
Hi there. Recovery has not been fun, but it’s still better than what I was dealing with before, so I try to remember that. I had no side effects from the sedation, and like i mentioned I do remember some of the procedure. I don’t know if it’s because of the antidepressants or that’s how it’s supposed to be, either way it wasn’t a traumatic experience in the least. I think it’s scarier not knowing what to expect, and once it’s over you wonder what you were so worried about. Please let me know if you have any questions, as I know exactly how you feel right now.

Back