Can a dry socket come aback after 3 weeks of healing

K

KellyR

Hi there. Can a dry socket come back after 3 weeks of healing? My dry socket started the day after my extraction. I had it packed twice and it had been healing well. The gum is nearly closed over. But last night I had severe shooting pain in the extraction site which travelled up my jaw. It was very sharp and very much like the Pain of the actual dry socket. I rinsed with corsodyl which stopped it. I am now terrified that the dry socket is returning? Is this even possible after 3 weeks? I don’t think I can cope with it coming back , I am so scared. The pain isn’t there now. Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thank you. 😊

drhirst

drhirst

Super Moderator
Verified dentist
Hi KellyR,
Well that was an unwelcome surprise!
You can get the odd twinge like this as the socket will carry on the healing process for several weeks. Having said that, it is most unlikely that you will get anything worse than the odd short lasting twinge. It does not signify that the full on dry socket is returning.

Lincoln

K

KellyR

Thank you so much for your reply. It has been a very rough few weeks and I am really struggling. I really appreciate your response. I am hoping that because the top of the gum is healing well that this also means the socket underneath is also healing well. Not sure if the socket will be healing from the bottom up , or the top down. I still haven’t eaten anything solid since the dry socket started 3 weeks ago and have lost 8lbs now 😳 I am terrified of anything going wrong. How long does the socket take to heal over the jaw bone ? Will this already be happening underneath ? Thank you 🙏🏻 😊😊😊

L

lleigh26

KellyR.. May I Ask You A Couple Of Questions About Dry Socket Please..? Xx

L

lleigh26

The Socket Heals From The Bottom Up.. 😊 xx

K

KellyR

Thank you for this information ☺ I was unsure how the healing went. I’m hoping this isn’t going to take too long as the top of my gum is healing really well, so I’m hoping that the bottom is healing also 🙏🏻 Thank you ever so much for your reply. I’ll be glad when this is over and all healed 😬