• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

can a hygienist do the check up that dentists do?

D

De8934

I recently had a check up with a new dentist who just took over from my old one. there is a hygienist in the practice now, there never use to be. my old dentist always did the scale and polish himself. I have been asked to make an appointment with the hygienist to have a good look around.

I'm curious to know, what is the dentist role in the check-up if it isn't to have a good look around? I feel like I'm paying twice. once to the dentist and then again to the hygienist for the same thing. Does this mean that I shouldn't see my dentist as often and can I see the hygienist instead of the dentist for check ups?

I see the dentist twice a year and hygienist 4 times! I think the hygienist is better at keeping a check on your gums and sometimes can spot things that a dentist might miss at a quick check up! Def worth seeing hygienist at least once or twice a year!

Training is very different.
In the US, a hygienist is there chiefly to scale calculus off of teeth, expose radiographs, assist in monitoring the health of your gums. The dentist performs the diagnosis of disease and determines appropriate treatment. The dentist is held liable for this.
There is also a practical aspect. Is your hygienist exceptionally good and the dentist exceptionally bad?

Hi,

It varies between countries. In France for example, there is no such thing as an oral hygienist, the dentist by definition does the cleaning, monitoring and education. In the US, there is a very distinguish border between the two occupation.
As comfortdentist suggested, it is all about the individual care provider. I think it is legitimate that one dentist works differently from the other as long as it is clear who is responsible for your oral health.

Thank you for your replies. Seeing a hygienist 4 times a year, wow. :(

comfortdentist: I don't know what this new dentist is like fixing a tooth because I haven't had the need since he took over 18 months ago. I do get the impression though that he is financially motivated. This may be very wrong of me to suggest such a thing but, he does not seem to hear me or listen when I mentioned a few dental issues I was concerned about. I did feel a little fobbed off. last time I went to a hygienist was at the dental hospital, they were very nice there. I am feeling nervous but curious. The dentist didn't tell me there were any problems but then again he didn't reassure me that all was well.

Dr Daniel: If the hygienist gives more information about my oral health and chats to me then I may steer clear of the dentist and only go if I have a problem.

You prob don’t need to see the hygienist 4 times a year! It’s just I do as I’m one of those people who really builds up tartar fast no matter how much I brush & floss! So my gums have made a massive improvement and never bleed anymore since I get 4x yearly cleans! Good luck with the dentist! I’d def see the hygienist at least once a year x

I don't know where you're located, but in Toronto, there is no way that a dentist would allow you to see just a hygienist. If you have a dentist, and he has a hygienist, he will insist that you see them both. Depending where you are though, there are hygienists who work apart from dentists, but refer you to one if they see something glaring.

I'm in the UK. I think hygienists can practice independantly of dentists but I've been told that most work in dental practice with a dentist privately. My dentist is NHS and I still don't get why the dentist could not have had a good look around my mouth during the check up. Maybe if I paid privately he may have taken the time to look a little closer.o_O

My entire life, every visit to the dentist involved seeing the hygienist first (xrays, cleaning, flouride if needed), and then the dentist to review the xrays and check.

It wasn't "paying double" because you pay for the cleaning and the exam - at least in the US they're just two billed charges, no matter who does them. I've had a dentist do the cleaning once before when the hygienist was out, but the bill still reflected one cleaning and one exam.

In the US it's very normal to see the hygienist before the dentist but I don't think I've ever heard of seeing ONLY a hygienist.

My entire life, every visit to the dentist involved seeing the hygienist first (xrays, cleaning, flouride if needed), and then the dentist to review the xrays and check.

It wasn't "paying double" because you pay for the cleaning and the exam - at least in the US they're just two billed charges, no matter who does them. I've had a dentist do the cleaning once before when the hygienist was out, but the bill still reflected one cleaning and one exam.

In the US it's very normal to see the hygienist before the dentist but I don't think I've ever heard of seeing ONLY a hygienist.

Only on the super rare occasion the dentist approves of seeing the hygienist that appointment, or after you met your dentist and the hygienist to discuss a treatment plan. Like, if they agree you have zero issues and just need a good cleaning then he/she would maybe be ok with just that. Even then I still have heard of the dentist stepping in to take a look just in case anything changed, etc.

In Florida I am required to examine the patient once per year. You could come in every 2 months for hygiene and see me only once a year.

Back