• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can a night guard cause any serious issues?

RJayne

RJayne

I've only just got my night guard (never had one before) and whilst it feels tight all over it feels like either the wearing of it or taking it off is putting undue pressure on one of the front teeth at the bottom which is slightly misaligned anyway. After trying it on a few times this tooth doesn't hurt but I feel extra aware of it if that makes sense? Will this feeling wear off or can the night guard make this tooth shift or loose? Because I have a premolar that is really quite out of alignment the guard is tricky to take off and I'm worried about the extra force that might be putting on the front tooth. Thanks for reading, any input from other people with guards would be really appreciated as well as any dentist's opinions of course

Hi,

The force you feel from the nightguard should lessen and disappear provided you put it in daily.
You can also ask your dentist to trim off a bit where it is pressing too much.

Thank you very much Dr. Daniel, I go back in two weeks and will have anything that's still pressing on too much trimmed then, will wearing it for a fortnight be alright even if it stays too tight there or if taking it out remains difficult?

Hard for me to say without seeing. You should trust your instinct on that one.

Ok, thanks for the advice, I'll see how it goes and see if I can get in sooner if it doesn't start feeling better

Hi there, during the first days of wearing my night guard, my front teeth were so painful in the morning that I wasn't able to bite or even to touch them with a tooth brush. Also my teeth felt really weird. This subsided after about 20 minutes and after few days I had no issues whatsoever so giving it few days to see whether it gets better might be the best.

Hi there, during the first days of wearing my night guard, my front teeth were so painful in the morning that I wasn't able to bite or even to touch them with a tooth brush. Also my teeth felt really weird. This subsided after about 20 minutes and after few days I had no issues whatsoever so giving it few days to see whether it gets better might be the best.
Thank you so much for telling me that, I'd have been terrified if they'd felt like that in the morning otherwise, that's a rather daunting prospect but I prefer to be forewarned, which kind of guard did you have?

Thank you so much for telling me that, I'd have been terrified if they'd felt like that in the morning otherwise, that's a rather daunting prospect but I prefer to be forewarned, which kind of guard did you have?

I have a very soft one, it’s basically a hard thin rubber and until today it is a mystery to me how that thing could have caused me pain.. anyway.
How are you doing?

I have a very soft one, it’s basically a hard thin rubber and until today it is a mystery to me how that thing could have caused me pain.. anyway.
How are you doing?
Ah mine appears to be a softish plastic, it did make the front teeth rather tender and odd feeling this morning but that mostly wore off after about an hour, It's left two opposing molars feeling like they're connecting a bit differently too but all in all its OK thank you, I'm still grateful for the warning. The part I dislike is removing it, it feels like a lot of force still but I think I've found an slightly better method than yesterday

Ah mine appears to be a softish plastic, it did make the front teeth rather tender and odd feeling this morning but that mostly wore off after about an hour, It's left two opposing molars feeling like they're connecting a bit differently too but all in all its OK thank you, I'm still grateful for the warning. The part I dislike is removing it, it feels like a lot of force still but I think I've found an slightly better method than yesterday

Here is the thread I posted a day or two after I got the splint, if it helps. Mine one is a soft one, could be called plastic as well but feels a bit rubbery.

Here is the thread I posted a day or two after I got the splint, if it helps. Mine one is a soft one, could be called plastic as well but feels a bit rubbery.
Thank you, that thread helps a lot actually, I'll admit I sort of panic posted this and forgot to search for anything similar... My guard sounds very similar to yours and what's happening sounds similar too, its encouraging to read that the off bite sensation (which has finally worn off too) can be a sign of the jaw relaxing. I'm going to try Gordon's suggestion of the toothpaste too if needs be, thanks again

I had a soft upper guard, and was switched to a hard lower one. I actually had to get the lower guard adjusted twice, because it was making my front teeth ache. My dentist just kind of scraped a bit out with a tool (I don’t know the right term, like she filed some of it away in the inside?) and it took seconds. Funnily enough, my dentist told me she had had to do the same to her own night guard the previous week.

I had a soft upper guard, and was switched to a hard lower one. I actually had to get the lower guard adjusted twice, because it was making my front teeth ache. My dentist just kind of scraped a bit out with a tool (I don’t know the right term, like she filed some of it away in the inside?) and it took seconds. Funnily enough, my dentist told me she had had to do the same to her own night guard the previous week.
Thanks for the info, mine is a lower one too, how long did you wait before asking the dentist to adjust it?

I had to try three times tonight to get a reasonably comfortable fit which is worse than yesterday, and rather annoying since I don't like removing it... Now it feels tight in a new place and that's mostly on gum tissue, I hope it doesn't cause a cut or sore etc, this might be a silly question but it can't push down the gum line or anything can it?
I really hope I get used to this soon, at least there's been no drooling so far! ?

RJayne, I am not sure about gums, but sounds like having it checked would be a good idea. With me it was smooth gradual process and the splint felt better every day. If this is not the case maybe stopping by at your practice would be a good idea, just to be sure. I

Thanks for the info, mine is a lower one too, how long did you wait before asking the dentist to adjust it?

I think I had a checkup scheduled a couple of weeks later and brought it in with me, but logically you would think teeth would be stronger than the guard, and it would kind of naturally adjust itself. I'm in the process of getting a new one because I've chewed away at this one, so presumably will start the whole process again. Hope it settles for you soon.

I had to give up last night after only four hours, I'd been waking up every 45 minutes or so to the sensation of it being quite painful, I couldn't really figure out what was sore the teeth or the gums, I was tired. I'm going to try again tonight with some bonjela for the places where it presses on, does anyone think that's a reasonable idea? I don't want to do any harm from numbing where it hurts...
I don't want to bother my dentist so soon when he asked me to try and stick with it for a week, but I'll have to drop them an email ?
I'm also a bit disappointed that the guard itself has rough edges, like the excess was cut off but not sanded down, is that normal? At nearly £170 I was expecting something with more finish

I had to give up last night after only four hours, I'd been waking up every 45 minutes or so to the sensation of it being quite painful, I couldn't really figure out what was sore the teeth or the gums, I was tired. I'm going to try again tonight with some bonjela for the places where it presses on, does anyone think that's a reasonable idea? I don't want to do any harm from numbing where it hurts...
I don't want to bother my dentist so soon when he asked me to try and stick with it for a week, but I'll have to drop them an email ?
I'm also a bit disappointed that the guard itself has rough edges, like the excess was cut off but not sanded down, is that normal? At nearly £170 I was expecting something with more finish

When I first got a night guard I had to build up to wearing it all night because it made me want to vomit, so you have done brilliantly so far! I actually used a timer and wore it during the day for blocks of 20 minutes or so in the beginning - I didn't even attempt it at night for a week or so. In your shoes, I would cut myself some slack, and give myself a night off from it. Both of mine have felt a bit rough round the edges, particularly the hard one I now have. I probably will get a row for this, but I smoothed them off with an emery board.

Mine is starting to split now, which is why I am getting a new one. I'm lucky to be an NHS patient in Scotland, so the charge is much less, I think about £40.

I guess I'm one of the few that actually FITS the guard. When I delivery one I do the following:
Adjust the bite so that it is even over all the teeth. If the patient or I feels it is tight then I place some indicating stuff inside and insert it in the mouth in order to mark where there is excess pressure then I can adjust it until there is only light pressure. The only person who has returned after the delivery in the last few years is one lady and that was because she lost it and wanted another one.

I will say the more you were it the better it feels.

Imo the problems you describe go beyond mild discomfort in the first phase. It sounds like you are really mindful about your dentist’s time and would like to avoid bothering if there is no necessity, but if your gums are irritated because of the guard then this should be adjusted by the dentist. Putting on numbing gel won’t solve it and I am sure your dentist would be more happy if you would get in touch instead of trying to fix it yourself.
As you pointed out, you had paid for it and the thing is meant to protect your teeth while you sleep. Not wearing it or wearing it and not being able to sleep sounds like something is wrong. So why not give them a call and see whether this would be a reason to come in? They still can tell you to try it for few more days if they think so (however I would be surprised if they dud)..

Back