• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can a root canal work if tooth is cracked?

J

JJay

If a tooth suffered trauma when biting down on hard food, and the tooth suffered a micro crack or fracture (not seen on an x-ray), will a root canal be successful for treatment?

Thank you.

no it won't

It would depend on the severity of the crack. if the crack is in the crown of the tooth and does not extend below the gum line root canal will likely be successful. if the crack is below the gum line root canal is less likely to save the tooth even if it is crowned after to try to hold the tooth together, because the crack below the gum line would continue to get worse. it may appear successful at first and it actually may even last a couple of years.

if it is cracked all the way to the root it would be beyond saving.
I had a fractured tooth that was not diagnosed. It was crowned for 1200 bucks and did not stop my pain. I then had it root canaled for 950 more which did not stop my pain. Then they wanted to talk me into a surgery where they cut off the tip of the root. I refused, and had it extracted. The oral surgeon who extracted my tooth said the fracture extended all the way from a pin placed in my tooth down to the root and nothing could have saved it. I wish I had just had it extracted to begin with because I suffered for months and went through multiple procedures for nothing. I wish even more that I had not gone to a dentist who fractured my tooth in the first place.

Back