• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can a WaterPik cause tooth sensitivity if used wrong?

M

mhp8982

So I posted a couple weeks ago about having a popcorn hull stuck in my teeth that I couldn't get out. I decided to buy a water pik, it worked instantly! Thank goodness. I figured it would be a good buy anyway for my husband and I. My husband has tonsil stones really bad too and we've been told they can work well for that. So anyway.. we started using it. My husband and I both have been and within a couple of uses we both have had some hot/cold sensitivity in some of our teeth. After researching a bit, I have a feeling we did use it wrong, putting too much pressure in the wrong areas and for too long, wrong angle, etc. I had it on low, but I guess I thought the more pressure the better! It seems pretty ironic that we would both have sensitivity like this after using it, for it to be anything else. What do you all think? Could it cause this problem if used wrong? Maybe we should lay off of using it for a little while? Does this sometimes happen in the beginning and it will get better?

Thanks!!

Going to bring this post back to life a bit. Wondering if anyone had issues using one with causing more gum recession? Or if a dentist could answer if using it could cause gums between teeth to recess. I personally stopped using one I never had issues with my gums looking more recessed before I tried it now I feel it caused more issues then I had before which was zero thoughts and opinions anyone?

There's no solid evidence that they do any good whatsoever, so on that basis I wouldn't advise anyone to use one. I doubt if they can cause recession but I suppose if they were being used very aggressively they could do some harm.

Well I don’t use it anymore. Wish I never did to be honest

Back