• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can acid reflux cause dental erosion?

K

kiefm

Former Member
Hi.

I haven't slept yet due to essay cramming, so I'll try to make this coherent. I read on the internet recently that acid reflux can cause dental erosion due to stomach acids. I wondered if this is the case because if so I will go to the doctors about acid reflux, which I have suffered from for a number of years now.

Thanks

Absolutely, yes!

Also, I think I'm right in saying that dentists can prescribe acid-reducing drugs (lansoprazole, omeprazole, etc.) on an NHS prescription.

I have had trouble with a lot of heartburn, i was told its Irritable bowl syndrome, there was a time where i got heartburn every single day and the burning was that bad i ended up gong to the Er, even tho what i have is diffeent to acid reflux, i just wanted to post that i had no idea that that can have an effect on teeth.

Also, I think I'm right in saying that dentists can prescribe acid-reducing drugs (lansoprazole, omeprazole, etc.) on an NHS prescription.

Possibly, the rules are different in different parts of the UK. I wouldn't though, it's something I'd want the patient's GP to investigate.

Yes it can, I had bad acid reflux for years since i was like 17 years old(due to an ulcer), and dentists said that was part of the problem. I have been taken nexium for a few years now.

Back