• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can an abscess come and go?

J

Jumpy jim

Had an extraction 3 weeks ago and during this period all my eating was on the other side of my mouth. The extraction was a molar so all the heavy lifting has gone onto the other side of my mouth to the molars that are both filled. Past few days ive noticed one of them feels strange, slightly achy and tender when chewing. Maybe a bit warm? Ive got a strange taste in my mouth as well. Yesterday the pain was quite bad so called the dentist and they said something isnt right but theyre so busy they cant see me until tomorrow which will only be a checkup. Treatment would be next week. Here is the embarrassing thing. Im really really terrified of extractions and im now fearing I need another extraction if the tooth is damaged. From my symptoms it seems theres a chance I have an abscess but today the pain isnt too bad. My last pain killers were 12 hours ago. Do they just ease? Apologies for the essay, im trying to psych myself up for what may come. I have a good dentist but theyre not particularly sympathetic and I feel they get a bit irritated when I ask my silly questions. Thanks in advance

Abscesses can drain out into the oral cavity, which usually relieves the pressure and takes the pain away. Might explain the funny taste. There are alternatives to extraction if there is an abscess though...

Abscesses can drain out into the oral cavity, which usually relieves the pressure and takes the pain away. Might explain the funny taste. There are alternatives to extraction if there is an abscess though...
Thanks for taking the time to respond. It seems to have sorted itself out. The teeth still feel sensitive and delicate but the pain has gone. I think the extraction has changed my bite which is causing aches and creaking teeth but I assume this will settle down.

I went to the dentist to get it checked over and the X-rays didnt show "anything of concern" but my wisdom tooth is growing at an angle and apparently food can get in there and cause problems which is what may have happened. I assume this isnt an abcess but I was told that if an abscess formed then the tooth would have to come out so its interesting that there ARE alternatives to extractions. I do get the feeling extraction is their go to treatment as I often get told something like "if its that back one, its probably better just to take it out" which is strange as me previous dentist (retired) would always try and save a tooth. Perhaps I need to find another dentist.

Thanks once again for your time

If it's the wisdom tooth that's doing it and it's growing in at a bad angle, then extraction would probably be the best thing in that case though :)

Hi Gordon, could you explain the alternatives? I have an abscess that has been calmed down with antibiotics and now just have a gum pimple. It's asymptomatic but I can't have wisdom tooth removed.....what are the options? Can I just have the gum boil drained and hope for the best? It seems rct and extraction are not an option, so what do I have left?

Back