• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can an Electric Toothbrush damage your teeth?

K

kiefm

Former Member
Hi. I'm using an electric toothbrush at the minute and under the instructions it says to brush like you would with a manual toothbrush. This seems quite odd since the toothbrush has plastic bristles that feel quite rough when brushed against your teeth. I fear that brushing too hard with a toothbrush that already does the work for you could cause erosion and decay. The toothbrush I use is an Oral-B Pulsar. I think I may possibly have chipped a tooth while chewing on a nut recently and fear that happened as a result of brushing too hard. Furthermore, I have been feeling really tired of late, which may be because the toothbrush is gradually removing my metal filling because it brushes too hard. Do you think I should swap to a manual toothbrush or will I be fine with an electric toothbrush? I accept this may be codswallop but I just feel like my teeth can be damaged as a result of using a standard, cheap supermarket electric toothbrush.

Thanks for your help.

It's an excellent toothbrush, but you don't move it around like a manual brush, just hold it steady for a few seconds on each tooth as you move around your mouth with it.

Can you get an appointment to see a dental hygienist to get some proper instructions on tooth cleaning?

I know how to brush my teeth thank you hehe but I am simply reading the instructions on the packet which say brush like a manual toothbrush. Also. Am I damaging my teeth by brushing my teeth manually with a toothbrush with vibrating plastic bristles.

Last edited:
Obviously you don't or you wouldn't be asking on here :)

No you won't damage your teeth but you won't get the best out of the electric toothbrush if you try to use it like a manual one. These instructions seem really odd to me.

I've replaced the toothbrush now. It appeared the toothbrush wasn't working properly. The vibration is quite powerful and definitely doesn't require manual brushing methods, like you said. I think the toothpaste I was using (aquafresh) blocked the toothbrush so i've swapped toothpaste. Thanks for your help Gordon.

Also, does it matter that I bought a medium 35, rather then a medium 40? Does a larger toothbrush head, which I think is the only discernible difference, result in cleaner teeth?

Cheers.

No, smaller is usually better for getting into the more awkward places. Most adults are best with an Oral B 35 size, or a 30 if you have a small mouth.

Back