• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can anyone tell what my dentist is going to do tomorrow?

I

ilostmynewunicorn

Hello everyone :)

2 weeks ago I had a root canal (very very successful. I was very proud of myself and my new dentist), then I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow to take care of that tooth, that was starting to form an abscess.

Meanwhile, I had another root canalled tooth that got exposed, and again my new dentist made sure to re-root canal it very quickly so she could seal the canals by mid-September, and again that went without any issues.

According to what she said, tomorrow is mainly an appointment to "see how the tooth [that she performed a root canal on 2 weeks ago] is going". She didn't say she wanted to close it just yet. She also said that sometimes the follow-up causes some pain, but she didn't exactly tell me why or when that happens, how much pain it is, and what can be done about that :/.
She told me to just relax and not overthink it, which I suck at. She also said that most of the times there is no need to even get anesthesia.

Also, the tooth has giving me some discomfort/slight pain, after eating hard foods. I know I'm not supposed to eat hard foods on a temporary filling, but I have no other choice (the filling already fell down once before and I had to get a new one, and 95% of this new one fell down Friday, but since I'm going there tomorrow I'm not worrying about that). Anyways, after I eat those kind of foods, the tooth kinda hurts for 15-30 minutes afterwards, then I don't feel any pain at all. I also don't feel any discomfort if I don't eat hard foods, and instead eat regular meat, rice, pasta, etc. Is this normal or does this mean that the root canal is messed up and I'm not ready to move on to the next phase of the treatment?

Exactly what is she going to do tomorrow?

Also, as a side note, for those of you that are having pain problems with your current dentist, change. I changed dentists because my old dentist hurt me during a root canal, and then mocked me for panicking and crying about it (quoting "Even 9 years-old go through this"; "You are going to feel lots of pain through life, get used to it").
Don't think about it twice, don't think you're gonna hurt his/her feelings. Just make that goddamn change. I'm so happy I did mine.

Quick bump because I'd really appreciate an answer before tomorrow :/

Hi the follow up should not cause you any pain. Never mind you might not need numbing, ask to be numbed before she does anything. There is no reason not to numb you at all. If she would like to try and do what ever she is going to do ask her that if you feel any discomfort if she will numb you.

Or, the choice I would make is get numbed up before she does anything. When I had my 2nd app for my rct's my dentist numbed me because the second appointment was much the same as the first appointment, the temp filling was removed and the canals checked then filled and a permanent filling put in.

The tooth should be pain free and symptom free before a permanent fulling is put in :butterfly:

Hi the follow up should not cause you any pain. Never mind you might not need numbing, ask to be numbed before she does anything. There is no reason not to numb you at all. If she would like to try and do what ever she is going to do ask her that if you feel any discomfort if she will numb you.

Or, the choice I would make is get numbed up before she does anything. When I had my 2nd app for my rct's my dentist numbed me because the second appointment was much the same as the first appointment, the temp filling was removed and the canals checked then filled and a permanent filling put in.

The tooth should be pain free and symptom free before a permanent fulling is put in :butterfly:

Thank you sooo much!!!
I went in totally relaxed. Turns out that, according to what she said, since the tooth is a molar, it needs 3 appointments instead of simply 2 as the normal procedure. So today was only a full canal check, anesthesia-free to help ensure there was no tissue left behind. It went great. Next time around she will close the tooth permanently, both inside and out.

The problem I'm having now is a relatively small problem:
I'm going to college, but I'm not sure exactly where, since the results (of what college I go into and into what course I made it in) are not out yet. I thought there were coming out next Monday, so I told her I'd only be able to schedule something by Monday, and she told me not to forget about scheduling and placed a more durable filling as well as a stronger antibiotic inside the tooth.

Turns out the results only come out in 2 weeks, so I'm kinda stuck. I can't schedule anything now because they would only be able to schedule it in 2 weeks, and in 2 weeks I'm going to be too busy (finding a house in whatever town I'm moving into; having my first classes; etc). From then on, I also don't know when I will be able to schedule, because my college schedule will only come out in 2 weeks, on Friday (or Monday if I manage to meet someone that happens to go to the same course I'm going into).
What I'm trying to say is, I can't (literally. Not trying to give any excuses now. I literally can't schedule something that is going to probably crash with a class I can't miss :mad:) schedule anything in the following 2 weeks, even though I told her I'd do it by Monday.

What should be my next step?

Could you tentatively schedule something and change it if doesn't work? You could call her office and tell them your situation and ask what they recommend doing.

Ring the practice as geos suggested and see if they can see you sooner, or make it after the two weeks when you can't attend. The dressing and temp filling will be okay for that time. I wouldn't recommend not going back as you will need a permanent filling in the tooth for it to be a success.

I am really glad that your appointment went so well for you :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

All the best with your results and good luck for your next appointment :clover::clover::clover::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::butterfly:

Back