• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone with a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

It's a supportive space to talk to people with similar experiences, and get advice and information.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can braces really help me?

C

ChrystalRae

Hey there.

I was getting my routine cleaning Monday afternoon and my hygienist said that she noticed my front bottom teeth were a little wiggly. I immediately freaked out. Nobody wants to hear that their teeth are wiggly. I don't notice the wiggling myself. Even if I'm trying to move them. So I almost wonder of she ment that my teeth have shifted.
Anyways, she said all this because it looks like I'm grinding my teeth in my sleep. So she gave me a referral to an orthodontist. He cant see for a month. Wow! They must be busy people. She said that correcting my bite will take the pressure off my bottom teeth. But will braces really help me? They recommend invisalign. So far I've read that they are bad for people with periodontal disease. I unfortunately have that. The hygienist also said if I dont go with the braces option then the only thing she could do was make me a professional night guard to try and freeze my bottom teeth in time for as long as possible.
I'm a hypochondriac. Hearing that this is going on is eating away at me. I can't sleep. I'm nervous thinking I'm going to lose my teeth by the time I'm 40 (Im 29). Does anyone think the braces option might be helpful or has been helpful to them?

drhirst

drhirst

Super Moderator
Verified dentist
Orthodontics is not a cure for grinding one's teeth. I would want a full explanation from my dentist as to why such treatment is needed.

C

ChrystalRae

When I asked the dentist they said orthodontics would take the pressure off of my bottom teeth and afterwards they would make me a night guard. I havent seen the ortho yet for his opinion. Have to wait awhile to see him.
Orthodontics is not a cure for grinding one's teeth. I would want a full explanation from my dentist as to why such treatment is needed.