• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can essix/clear retainer pull out my crown?

M

mynr95

Hi there,

I've recently got a new clear retainer since my old hawley one doesnt fit anymore, but it feels really uncomfortable when I pull it out in the morning like the suction is pulling on my newly crowned tooth!
You hear so many horror stories about crowns coming loose I dont want to help the situation along in any way.

My essix retainer has been making first molar extremely sensitive so I'm going to the dentist on Thursday to get it trimmed down. Should I ask if it could be trimmed past my crowned tooth also? It is a first molar on the bottom.
Am I right to think that as long as my front teeth are covered by the retainer my teeth shouldn't shift so this shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks for any help

It is best to discuss all your concerns with the dentist when you see them. They are the best person to advise you. They can see the problem as well as listen, make sure you mention all your concerns, they will be able to address all of them and offer you solutions.

Hi there,

I've recently got a new clear retainer since my old hawley one doesnt fit anymore, but it feels really uncomfortable when I pull it out in the morning like the suction is pulling on my newly crowned tooth!
You hear so many horror stories about crowns coming loose I dont want to help the situation along in any way.

My essix retainer has been making first molar extremely sensitive so I'm going to the dentist on Thursday to get it trimmed down. Should I ask if it could be trimmed past my crowned tooth also? It is a first molar on the bottom.
Am I right to think that as long as my front teeth are covered by the retainer my teeth shouldn't shift so this shouldn't be a problem?

Thanks for any help

If your essix retainer is able to pull your crown out then the cement probably is not strong enough in the first place. You're better it come out with the essix retainer than have a crown that has a weak cement and will slowly rot away.

Back