• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can getting a bout of Flu affect Treatment of Abscess via AntiBiotics

G

Gareth

Hi All,

Had a top tooth that had an abscess above it one side and a small fistula on the opposite side. So without delay got it looked at and they confirmed the tooth nearest both was causing it. Got booked in for an appointment for a root canal the following week and was given 5 days of Amoxicillin to take prior.

Took the tablets up to the day I was booked in for root canal but the chemical they used to clean the root canal went to the back of my throat and I had a bit of a fit in the chair where I couldn't breathe. Was willing to carry on that day but they thought best to finish it off 5 days later (which I did).

I was free of my abscess and fistula for a week when only the abscess came back (no fistula) but I have no pain at all (I never had and still have no pain from the tooth). So they think because of the gap between appointments finishing the job that some bacteria is still in my gum and so they recommended this time 5 days on Metronidazole but sods law 2 days into that I came down with a terrific bout of flu that took me 3 days to get over but still completed the course. I've not seeing anything amazing happening visually with my abscess. It peaks and troughs and is currently in a trough but I don't think its in remission.

So my question is can coming down with the flu 3 days into treating an abscess with Antibotics stop the antibiotics working?

As long as you took the antibiotics as prescribed, they should work just fine even with the flu.

Back