• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can grinding on a tooth cause permanent damage?

M

MountainMama

When I had my implant crown redone on my upper central incisor, the new crown was put in line with my teeth, whereas the old one was pushed forward a bit, like my original tooth.
To make it fit, the dentist had to grind off the corner of my lateral incisor. The lateral incisor is angled a bit and the edge of it had been slightly behind the central incisor. He basically made the side of it go straight down, cutting a corner off. It has been sensitive off and on, but every once in a while will get little “zings” go through it. Right now it is getting little zaps like crazy, about every few minutes. Uncomfortable for sure. Not shooting pain just an electric like zing. The side of the tooth where he reshaped it feels odd, and it hurts up between the two teeth, like a needle is stuck between them.
Could it have damaged the nerve? Or just super sensitive and playing on my neuralgia?
I should add that we have moved and I can’t go back to the dentist that did it. I have found a new dentist here so I can get in if I need to. I am wondering if it just anxiety because I am getting another tooth extracted in a few days.

Chances are there's a bit of dentine exposed which is sensitive. Slather desensitising toothpaste on it at bedtime for a bit and see how it goes.

Chances are there's a bit of dentine exposed which is sensitive. Slather desensitising toothpaste on it at bedtime for a bit and see how it goes.
Thanks Gordon, I can try that. I have a feeling the neuralgia is playing a part. It didn’t bother me last night but today the tooth hurts all along the side that was ground. Looking closer in the mirror with a light, it looks like he ground off part of the side all the way up the tooth as well. I am sure it is setting off the neuralgia as tylenol is not helping at all. It is a constant pain that isn’t unbearable but is not easily ignored.

Back