• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can gums recede over jaw

P

PBteeth

HI,

I am having massive issues with my teeth currently, made more complex by Covid / restrictions on drilling etc, plus on top I have dental anxiety!.
My question is, can gums receding gums actually expose the jaw?.
The reason for the question is I have a tooth that seems to be able to let in "stuff" to my jaw (UL2 - crowned tooth).
Over the course of 6 months I have had it root canaled, then re-root canaled. but it is still painful and if food or drink goes between the tooth, it seems to generate pain in my jaw (the socket area) and radiate into my nose. It is also sensitive to touch, It is no where near my sinuses (or so I am told). Been on Anti-B's for months on and off.
It has got to the point I need to have it out but am so worried that if its taken out, it will leave a bigger gap as the gums hurt either side but again, I'm told they have receded but its ok (have 6mm gum pockets either side).
No one seems to know what the issues are I have.

Anything would help. I wont go into the other issues as it will only complicate matters :(.

Attachments

• UL1-web.jpg
    UL1-web.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 21
  • opgUL2.JPG
    opgUL2.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 20
You have advanced periodontal disease. This is allowing bacteria to come up from the gum pockets and get into the little space at the apex of the root. We call this a perio-endo lesion (cause we're not very imaginative!). The outlook for that tooth is very poor, it's not looking great for the ones next door either I'm afraid.

Thank You.

Sorry to ask, so extraction would hopefully sort the pain side of things? once healed.
Expect its denture time after that.

Thanks.

Yes, it would sort the pain out. I'm afraid there's no real option.

Back