• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can hydrogen peroxide cause galvanic shock between crown and partial?

R

redbud

I have a situation that my dentist doesn't seem to be able to explain to me. I have a removable partial whose metal frame sits on a metal crown. I never had any problems with either until I used hydrogen peroxide as a denture soak. Then, when I put the denture back in, I had a very sharp pain that felt like an electrical shock. When I re-cleaned the denture more thoroughly and re-inserted it, there was no pain. Needless to say, I am using other means to de-stain my partial now. I also tried a mouthwash containing hydrogen peroxide and the same thing happened. I gather from what I've read that this experience is called "galvanic shock." Is the hydrogen peroxide somehow acting as a catalyst? And has anyone heard of this happening before? I'm just grateful that it is a removable partial and I could get it out quickly! Thanks for any information you can give.

I have a situation that my dentist doesn't seem to be able to explain to me. I have a removable partial whose metal frame sits on a metal crown. I never had any problems with either until I used hydrogen peroxide as a denture soak. Then, when I put the denture back in, I had a very sharp pain that felt like an electrical shock. When I re-cleaned the denture more thoroughly and re-inserted it, there was no pain. Needless to say, I am using other means to de-stain my partial now. I also tried a mouthwash containing hydrogen peroxide and the same thing happened. I gather from what I've read that this experience is called "galvanic shock." Is the hydrogen peroxide somehow acting as a catalyst? And has anyone heard of this happening before? I'm just grateful that it is a removable partial and I could get it out quickly! Thanks for any information you can give.
I have experienced something like this. I have a crown that I have had since 1990. It loosened once in 1992 and I had it remounted and secured. I assume the dentists put some sort of seal around the bottom to prevent collection of debris and cavities. I don't know for sure. A friend of mine at Chruch uses hydrogen peroxide to whiten his teeth as a mouthwash. I tried it and after 3 sessions it whitened my teeth. on the 4th session I experienced pain under my crown. I could feel the bubbling in that tooth. I would like my teeth to be white but the pain is incredible. I think it must be reacting with a metal (?) in the crown. Should I have a dentist look at it and maybe reseal the crown? I realize some dentists are about making the money and may want to redo the crown. I refuse to use chemical toothpastes like Crest, AquaFresh or Tom's which causes chemical pitting in teeth. I use a mineral soap and a mineral gel with Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium in them. I have not had any more issues since I stopped the Hydrogen Peroxide.

Back