• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can i ask if a gum graft will help??

H

Hannahc0521

I found out a few months ago I am an avid tooth grinder, due to fracturing a tooth and rushing to the dentist. Gums receeded some, but my top teeth ever since getting my mouthguard finally stopped hurting.

A week or so ago I fell asleep without my guard and had bad pain in my 4 front bottom teeth. (Also had a scaling and planing done a month ago) the gums are very receeded there, and now they always are sensitive and painful. I thought I needed root canals but a second opinion from a new dentist said i only need them if i want less sensitivity. My question here is would a gum graft on those 4 teeth lessen my sensitivity in them? I think that's the issue as, especially the back of them are pretty receeded. I have an appointment monday for fillings, should I bring it up with my dentist?

Hi Hannahc0521,

don't know anything about gums and grafts, but you can bring up ANYTHING you want to know or thought of or feel worried in regards of your dental health. That's what your dentist is there for. Besides this one particular question, maybe explaining what you are going through might help, in case your idea with the gum graft doesn't work, your dentist might find another way to solve the problem.

Hi Hannahc0521,

gum graft is for sensitivity to cold, not for sensitivity after grinding. Teeth grinding irritate the teeth mechanically, more gum tissue will not stabilize the teeth. Besides, your night guard is helping already with this sensitivity, right? Why change that?

It's not helping with my bottom teeth, they straight always hurt all the time now :(

Go back to the dentist and ash that dr why your teeth are sensitive

Back