• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can I choose a NHS dentist within a practice

L

lostpatient

I picked the practice and happier with reception than the one before. However, I never had a choice of the dentist within a practice.
I have seen another dentist in emergency the other day but had to see my usual dentist for actual treatment. He is going to operate on root canal. I have a grave concern, as he showed no compassion on my suffering. He had 'can't care less' attitude. When I asked if there was anything more I could do with my pain, he did not provide any advice other than taking ibuprofen which I was already taking. I had to obtain more information from pharmacist and NHS 111; such as I could take both paracetamol and ibuprofen, keep head higher with an extra pillow while asleep, rinse mouth every hour with heaped tea spoonful salt in a mug of boiled and cooled water.
I once suffered over dose of local anaesthetic and choked. Therefore, I want my dentist to be gentle, patient and understanding without too much anaesthetic. I don't normally have an excessive fear of dentist, but this time, I am really worried that he is going to be rough and does not operate carefully.
I understand that under NHS, we could choose a doctor. Can I choose a dentist WITHIN the practice? I am in England

Last edited:
Hi yes you can if you don't like the dentist you are seeing ask if you could see someone else. All the practices I and other people have gone to (nhs) have changed dentists within a practice if they don't like the one they see. Ask to see the practice manager and explain your problem and how nervous you feel and they should put you with someone else:butterfly:

Back