• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can i get NHS dentist to fit dentures

T

terriegym

Due to a combination of depression, fear and embarrassment I have no teeth left in my bottom jaw. Just a couple of crowns, a two tooth bridge (under which has open gum where the root of the tooth is showing as it never closed after I got bridge)and the rest mainly black stumps. I would like to get them all removed and have dentures is this possible.

Yes it is possible to get dentures on the NHS. It may be that the dentist could save some of the teeth with crowns or other things though. :)

My first two teeth went black when I was 20 after the nerves died hence the bridge. I don't want them to try and patch them up as it means staying in the cycle of fear. And I can't bring myself to tell the dentist what I want when I do get to one.

You could try emailing a few dentist practices explaining how you feel and what it is you are wanting, asking if they can help you as you want to get your mouth treated to feel better about yourself. See what replies you get back and choose one or two that you like the sound of and make an appointment.

I understand you wanting to be rid of your teeth I spent a lot of years wanting and even asking a couple of dentists to remove my teeth. The ones I asked said they couldn't do it. I am nearly 60 and over the last three to four years have worked with a few dentists to get work I needed done and also to get over my phobia. I didn't think it was possible and sometimes I feel a little nervous but I still have my teeth no dentures at the moment but I do have three bridges and I am so glad I didn't have my teeth extracted.

I am not saying you should keep your teeth, it is your choice to make and you have every right to choose what you want to do.

There are a lot of people on here that understand how you feel I am sure they will come along and offer you their opinion. :)

Thanks so much, I'll try the email thing. I also want to take my boys on holiday next year and don't want to embarrass them.

Back