• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can I have a tooth with an active infection extracted?

M

MaryS91

I am due to have 4 teeth extracted tomorrow (left upper and lower molars) at the dental hospital with IV sedation. I am 99% sure one of the teeth has an active infection. Symptoms including relentless toothache and extreme sensitivity to any kind of pressure on the tooth. I've been taking Metronidazole 400mg 3 x daily for 48 hours. The tooth feels slightly better but still painful and still sensitive to pressure.

Will they go through with the extraction with infection still present?

I had one extracted with an infection. I took amoxicillin a week prior. The dentist who prescribed the antibiotics told me that the antibiotics were mostly because infection can make it harder for the anesthetic to work, but the oral surgeon (who was extracting) said they can get you numb even with the infection. It just takes a little more anesthetic and finesse sometimes.

No problem at all, I think it's a bit of an old wives' tale about infection making teeth hard to numb...

Back