• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

can i have info on some of my options please x

S

scifiemz

asking the helpful dental guys on here can you give me a bit of info please?
how many dental treatments would I need form start to finish for a root filling and crown?
how many dental treatments would I need form start to finish for a tooth removal and then wait 12 weeks then a bridge?
how many dental treatments would I need for a, now I don't know that's it called but I was told that I had the option of having the tooth removed and a bridge fitted the same day but that it would only look good for a few years? this sounds like a brill option but also how long would it look okay for?
please help guys xxx

Well it depends so I’ll give you a range.
how many dental treatments would I need form start to finish for a root filling and crown?
It is possible to start and finish the root canal then prepare the crown on one day then cement on another. 2. Appointments
Or I once sent a patient to the endodontist who saw the patient 13 times then me 2 more, 15 appointments
As to a bridge- extract place temporary bridge wait 3-4 months modify preparations, take an impression and another day cement. This is the normal way. Minimum of three appointments.
Could be more depending on aesthetic challenges

Well it depends so I’ll give you a range.
It is possible to start and finish the root canal then prepare the crown on one day then cement on another. 2. Appointments
Or I once sent a patient to the endodontist who saw the patient 13 times then me 2 more, 15 appointments
As to a bridge- extract place temporary bridge wait 3-4 months modify preparations, take an impression and another day cement. This is the normal way. Minimum of three appointments.
Could be more depending on aesthetic challenges

thank you that is super helpful. what do you know about the straight away bridge. wear the tooth is pulled and a bridge is fitted the same day? ive been offered this as I really don't want to be left with a gap for 12 weeks. is this a good option? or dose it look terrible pretty quick? thank you x

extract place temporary bridge wait 3-4 months modify preparations, take an impression and another day cement. This is the normal way. The bridge then fits the healed area.

extract place temporary bridge wait 3-4 months modify preparations, take an impression and another day cement. This is the normal way. The bridge then fits the healed area.
really? he seems to make out that it was permanent and would look alright for a few years then would look pretty terrible? all i really care about is my wedding next summer if i look terrible in say 5 years i will ether deal with it some how or hide away from the world as needed. im hating how I currently look but as pretty terrified about getting anything fix , a lose lose really :(

all i really care about is my wedding next summer if i look terrible in say 5 years i will ether deal with it some how or hide away from the world as needed. im hating how I currently look but as pretty terrified about getting anything fix , a lose lose really :(

Really sorry to read this. You deserve feeling well about yourself and looking good not only next year during your wedding, but whole the time. No need to hide away. You seem to be so much under pressure... Sending you hugs and hope you can find the right treatment and the right person to do it. And find a way to be happy with how you look. All the time, not only now or next summer.

Taking out front teeth and placing a regular permanent type bridge without waiting a good healing period is just not done in USA.

It's not usually done in the UK either the NHS won't usually pay for it... are we talking of a maryland type bridge or a conventional one OP?

I'm glad you clarified this Gordon. I've never heard of what the OP stated.

It's not usually done in the UK either the NHS won't usually pay for it... are we talking of a maryland type bridge or a conventional one OP?
sorry ive no idea what that means . All I know is I need ether a root filling or a bridge and as I don't want a gap ( its just to the side and you can see it when I smile) I was offered by a NHS dentist the option of in one appointment the bride tooth being primed for a bridge, then in the next visit the tooth being taken out and a bridge being put in in the same visit so i wouldn't have to have a gap at all. but he said that in X years it wouldn't look very good, sadly i cant remember how many years he said 8 seems to ring a bell, but wanted to check that and cant get him to reply to emails or phone me which is why i thorght i would ask you lovely people.

Really sorry to read this. You deserve feeling well about yourself and looking good not only next year during your wedding, but whole the time. No need to hide away. You seem to be so much under pressure... Sending you hugs and hope you can find the right treatment and the right person to do it. And find a way to be happy with how you look. All the time, not only now or next summer.
thank you sweetie xxx, I can honestly say they only reason I'm getting dental work done is because of my wedding. I cant stand needles and nothing , not giving up my re-enactment, my Goddess group or my Jane Austen group(I don't want any of my friends to see me with this broken tooth) would make my have dental work done ever again, not even the tooth ache I've had since Sep, no the only reason I will have it done is because there will be wedding photos and as I currently stand I'm dreading the big day because I don't want people looking at me let alone taking photos of me.

Good luck with the wedding, I hope it all goes well for you.

Good luck with the wedding, I hope it all goes well for you.
thank you. one last thing. how terrible are root fillings? im so scared im having probs eating(when I get scared I lose my appetite) , and cry my self to sleep most nights. I just don't know what to do. people at work have been saying they are totally horrid and should be avoided at all costs as they just cant numb you enough so that you feel it and it hurts? others have told me they had one done and had dental pain for years afterwards. am I wasting my time, money and terror having it done? it doesn't hurt so should I just leave it till it dose?

I've had 2 root fillings done, they are not any more painful than a filling, I've never had any issues afterwards. I had the first one done 42 years ago, the second one was about 20 years ago.
Some people seem to relish making nervous people even more nervous don't they? Bet your work colleagues are a bundle of laughs :)

I've had 2 root fillings done, they are not any more painful than a filling, I've never had any issues afterwards. I had the first one done 42 years ago, the second one was about 20 years ago.
Some people seem to relish making nervous people even more nervous don't they? Bet your work colleagues are a bundle of laughs :)
they know im nervous and im sure they like making it worse, . the thing is im a lot older them (im 34 and there 18/20) so they think i should be fine, but yes sadly im a long way from okay :(

Back