• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can menstruation be causing my gingivitis? Scared that it will be permanent and the dentist will blame me.

• Thread starter 16andbadteethandgums
  • Start date
16andbadteethandgums

16andbadteethandgums

Hi. I’m 16-turning-17 years old and admittedly need to see a dentist ASAP. But for the past 4-3 months, my gums and teeth felt fine. My gums were a pink colour and uniformly like that. They looked like an orange peel. There was no swelling or blood while brushing or flossing.

But a week ago my gums got inflamed. Gradually the inflammation spread from my molars to my canines. They also began to become more and more sore and itchy. Day before yesterday they began to bleed on flossing and brushing.

However since the past week or so I began developing PMS and today I began to get leucorrhea. I’m really hoping that the gingivitis is just hormonal. If it is, when will it resolve? Or will it stay like that? I don’t want to go to the dentist and give a bad impression. I’m really scared of what he or she would say.

Last edited:
Yes, your hormones will have an effect on your gums, your dentist will be aware of this and should take it into account. Your gums should go back to normal later on in your cycle.

Just don't let the bleeding put you off brushing, it tends to go in a vicious circle, gums bleed, patient thinks they're brushing "too hard", backs of brushing, bleeding gets worse and so on..

Yes, your hormones will have an effect on your gums, your dentist will be aware of this and should take it into account. Your gums should go back to normal later on in your cycle.

Just don't let the bleeding put you off brushing, it tends to go in a vicious circle, gums bleed, patient thinks they're brushing "too hard", backs of brushing, bleeding gets worse and so on..
Thank you for the reassurance. These were the exact thoughts going through my head. I’m making sure to brush and floss every day and wait out the bleeding gums.

Back