• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can My Tooth Be Saved? See X-Rays

L

Lindseylee314

I went to the dentist last week and after looking at the X-rays, she told me I need a root canal done. She referred me to an endodontist couple. I began researching root canal therapy (RTC) and found information about anaerobic bacteria living in the area and over time spreading to other parts of the body and having negative effects on the heart, immune system, other organs, etc.

So, I read and found that there are 2 options, either RTC or extraction. Since I have no pain or swelling in the area, is there a chance that my large cavity can be drilled out and filled with something else? I do not want the blood supply and nerve to be removed from my tooth unless they are truly infected. Is there a special dentist who will provide this treatment for me or at least be willing to try? I know I need to act fast on this, and this is causing me additional stress. I have the X-rays, and I am desperately trying to find a dentist who will give my tooth a second chance to live.

Please help me by looking at my X-rays and telling me what I can do. Thank you so much :)

Attachments

• Teeth Radiograph March 18 2016 2.jpg
    Teeth Radiograph March 18 2016 2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Teeth Radiograph March 18 2016 3.jpg
    Teeth Radiograph March 18 2016 3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Teeth Radiograph March 18 2016 4.jpg
    Teeth Radiograph March 18 2016 4.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Teeth Radiograph March 18 2016 5.jpg
    Teeth Radiograph March 18 2016 5.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Teeth Radiograph March 18 2016 6.jpg
    Teeth Radiograph March 18 2016 6.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 15
Hi. I'm not a dentist, but the information online about the negative health effects of RCT are all bogus and have no basis in actual science. If your dentist is recommending RCT it's because s/he believes that IS the way to save the tooth. I've had 4 of them and am so grateful to be able to save all 4 teeth.

Hi,

I totally second fearfulInMA. It is very easy to scare people, especially surgical procedures.
The dentist has to check on the tooth before doing a root canal treatment. An X ray is not sufficient but also other tests (especially vitality tests like a cold test) are crucial to diagnose the tooth and decide whether a root canal treatment is needed.
The fact that the tooth is not sensitive to anything is actually a very good sign. If the vitality tests are positive, meaning that the nerve tissue is still not too inflamed, then a filling is indicated.
I recommend you go to the endodontist, ask o evaluate the tooth and I am certain that the endodontist would prefer making a deep filling rather than a root canal treatment if so indicated.

Dr. Finkelman,
Thank you so much for your response! Is it of your opinion that the XR alone will not be the deciding factor of the need of a root canal? Also, were you able to look at the XRs of tooth #14? I wonder if the cavity is considered too large to fill? If RCT is done, does the cavity also get drilled out? If so, I'd love if they could just drill out the cavity and leave the blood supply and nerve in there.

I don't know that an endodontist will care that much about doing the other tests as they will make more money by just doing the procedure.

Another question for you: If I must have RCT, how would one know of issues with that tooth and area if there are no nerves? Wouldn't it be difficult to know if an infection emerged because you cannot feel it?

Hi,

An X ray alone is not enough. I am not sure about the money issue you mentioned because a deep filling can be expansive and still take much less time to make, plus the chance for complications are much smaller.
I understand completely that you want to avoid a RCT and that is a good approach. However, sometimes it is the right thing to do. It is medically safe procedure and can improve your quality of life.

Back