Can my wisdom teeth be moved to become my molars using braces?

P

Poopteeth

So, I have braces and have had a serious infection in a molar in front of my bottom left wisdom tooth, so had to get that removed and another 3 so that my mouth is symmetrical. So far I've got 3 removed, and 1 to be removed. This infection occurred because the braces bracket used was very tight and practically on my gum, cutting it up and becoming hard to clean as it was so tight.
My orthodontist informed me that I could choose to have 4 removed and have my wisdom teeth moved forward. He didn't really expand on that as he wanted me in and out.
I'm really worried about this since my mouth wasn't crowded in the first place, and I don't really think he can move my wisdom teeth forward because you can't really put a bracket on it since it's semi impacted.
So, is there a way to move my semi impacted wisdom teeth using braces or any other procedure?

This has really been bumming me out since I thought braces would give me a pretty smile just in time before I head off to college, not messing my mouth up. I don't even feel like talking anymore ??

L

littlething

The short answer is, yes, wisdom teeth can be shifted forward to take place of your molars. I'm having this done because I need 2 of my molars extracted. Whether or not it can happen in your own scenario depends on a number of factors, and only your orthodontist would be able to answer that...

My understanding that is that it is a bit more challenging to move wisdom teeth, and can be more invasive and add more time in braces. But I'm not really sure why are they pulling the molars and pushing the wisdom teeth forward, instead of removing the wisdom teeth? Then again, I'm no dental professional, so I wouldn't know. Definitely discuss with your orthodontist.

P

Poopteeth

hey, they're removing the molars because theyre the infected ones