• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can pain during wisdom teeth removal be foreseen and prevented?

I

ilostmysoul

Right now this is thinking out aloud, because I want to pay for everything myself, which is going to take another 1-2 years.

I am 20 years old and I am thinking about getting braces. I have had a dentist in the past say I would have to extract at least 2 of my wisdom teeth. Another dentist said I would need no extractions at all.

I have not had any more complete x-rays recently, but I figure I have an upper wisdom teeth with problems (as I was having a root canal, the dental assistant gasped as she looked into my mouth and asked "Is that his wisdom tooth?", and my dentist nodded. They never told me anything again about it though).

Up to know, my wisdom teeth have never given me any problems or symptoms at all. When the time comes, I'm planning to go up to 3-4 different orthos to see if they all agree they need to be removed for braces to work.

The thing I'm worried about is (as always) the stories my friends told me. A friend of mine has had her surgery on my current office, with a 50 year old ortho, and mid-surgery she said everything was going fine until she heard the bone snap, followed by a huge burst of pain. They did manage to finish the treatment though.

Another friend went to a dental surgeon and went under to have all 4 removed at once. He said everything went great. I am not considering going under, and I will not go under if the teeth keep not showing symptoms, even if that means I can't get braces. If possible, I'd prefer to have them treated one at a time.

My question is: could that "bone snap" be avoided? Why was it not seen on the x-Rays? And if the problem isn't visible in the x-rays, can it be visible mid-surgery before the bone snaps? Can dentists realize it and take another approach in order to avoid it?

There should never EVER be pain of any kind during any tooth extraction. I just had 2 lower molars pulled with just local and did not feel a thing. I get my two lower wisdoms out in 2 weeks and I am also only doing local. The only thing I have ever heard in regards to bone snapping, is the crown of the tooth breaking during removal, but it's not painful, maybe a little creepy which is why I will be using an Ipod lol, but not painful. Hopefully some others will chime in on here, if you do a bit of searching on the forum you will find plenty of wisdom tooth success stories. If it does turn out you need them out, I would try not to worry.

I think that there was the problem, I never have a drill near me without numbing. I have had a few rct's and all parts were done with me numb right up to my ears and eyes.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out some years ago, I was given GA and felt nothing. When having teeth removed you can hear some terrible noises and I think the person in your office probably heard the tooth coming away from the bone or as has been mentioned the tooth breaking.

The extraction should be totally pain free and if you did feel anything other than a bit of pressure they can top you up so that you don't. Even a tooth that is hard to numb can be done by the right person so that you don't feel anything.

If you arrange a stop signal before they start and use it you can let them know if you feel anything and they can sort it out. :butterfly:

Back