• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

can regular implant posts be used later for dentures

A

afraidofdentists

Hello I am having 2 posts put in for a plate of 4 teeth to go on them in my lower front teeth. My question is can these posts be used later for stabilizing a bottom denture?

I am so nervous about monday I will have two posts placed in my jaw. Can you tell me about how long the procedure may take? do you think this will be very painful?

I am so nervous about monday I will have two posts placed in my jaw. Can you tell me about how long the procedure may take? do you think this will be very painful?

Just guessing but I would have thought less than an hour and that you could expect to feel no pain during the appointment - you will be numbed up. Discomfort afterwards will vary from person to person but can usually kept at bay by taking regular doses of painkillers.

Ask your dentist about reusing the posts and also for comprehensive aftercare instructions. You are paying for the service after all, state your needs.

If your dentist places regular type of implants that are two pieces then the dentist can place whatever head that he needs for you. So right now he would place an abutment that sticks up 4-6mm and a crown or a bridge can be cemented right on top of that. If your other teeth are failing then later in a few years the bridge may be removed and a different abutment can be placed that has a little(short) snap that an overdenture can attach to.

Thank you so much for the replies you dont know how much I am greatly appreciative. I am so nervous about tommorow but I know I can do this. I am kinda of excited that I will be getting some teeth back in front and this time straighter and no gaps like before. I cant wait till next year and the final product is finallized. At this time I will be doing this in stages due to the financial planning. I will have the posts placed first then wait for healing and and wear my temporary till around june-ish of next year. Well I decided to load up my mp3 with music to concentrate on while the oral surgeon does the work especially the drill part :hmm: So please wish me luck that I make it thru without panicking. I opted for just local anesthia. I had a bad experience with oral sedation in the past and now I am trying to be strong and be positive and relax and just like all my other dental work I can do this too! I will update you guys tommorow I gotta try to sleep gotta wake up super early in a.m. Till tommorow good nite:sleep:

You'll do great..............

I did it! I survived the whole thing! Well I have to be honest I was so nervous I was literally shaking as I was filling out my consent forms but then once everything started and I thru on my mp3 my nervousness decreased. The parts that were challenging were the tons of numbing injections all on my lower front jaw. The deeper ones hurt so bad. The procedure began and then came the drilling it was intense the smell of my bone shavings I can still smell. I had to have my oral surgeon inject more numbing at that point I kinda felt borderline pain then it immediately went away. He continued with all these gadgets, instruments, etc etc measuring, racheting , more drilling omg I was so nervous I would turm my music up louder to not hear. So then came the stiching. Wow I didnt know how painful under the tongue area was. He injected for numbing agent. I was ok again he kept on and then guess what there was a practice fire drill in the middle of all this with the alarm on for about 20 minutes we all just kept on going thank god my oral surgeon is really good and wasnt distracted by the loud repeatitive sound. He then had them take panoramic xray gave me my spcripts and I was on my way. I then got my pain med in my body with food and now I am pushing thru the after pain and bruising and swelling. I havent removed my temporary yet that is acting as a bandaid but I need to brush my teeth. I am not sure if I should sleep with my temporary on tonite? What do you guys think ? Over all it was not as bad pain as my abcess I just had my tooth extacted last week this pain is more of a controlled pain with meds. I hope it heals well and my body accepts the posts well. He did tell me he had to do some bone moving around with some plastic surgery I dont know exactly the proper terminology what you guys think of that? He said he did this to set area up better for the top part. And he also said he wasnt sure at this point if I will have three teeth or 4 teeth placed on a plate on these two posts. What you guys think of this? Any feed back will help me better understand this is going to be a long process...

As to the actual teeth that you will receive...
After the implants heal your restorative dentist will take an impression of your teeth and implants then make a stone model. When he looks at the stone model he will decide on the number and shape of the teeth. Sometimes your dentist might shave a little or add a little to the adjacent teeth to even out things.

ImplantTemp.jpgBoneLoss.jpgLoose teeth.jpg
Finally able to find these pictures. The first is the TEMPORARY bridge that the patient had on the day that I extracted her four teeth and placed teh implants. The middle picture shows the tremendous loss of bone. If she looses more teeth in the back and later has to have a denture becomes of money or poor health I will take off the final bridge and place attachments into the implants and then she will have a denture that "snaps" into place.

I wanted to show you guys what I could gather so you can have a better idea of my case. I'm not sure in what order the pics loaded up in but here it goes. One of them is my bottom front teeth still in pre-extraction, another is how my gums and appearance after extraction, another is me wearing my present temporary, and the last one is the most recent one from my surgery yesterday of the two implant posts. You can kinda see the top of one of the implants (gold looking) the other is buried under gum completely, I couldnt pull my lip down at all due to plastic surgery down there. You can see all the stitching thou. Thank you comfort dentist for your feed back. What are your thoughts on my pics?

Attachments

• IMG_5676.jpg
    IMG_5676.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8448.jpg
    IMG_8448.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9136.jpg
    IMG_9136.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9137.jpg
    IMG_9137.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9146.jpg
    IMG_9146.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 22
As you know you are in an early healing phase so what counts is how it might look in a couple more weeks. Nice job in taking pictures. I would avoid pulling on your lower lip for the next couple of weeks.

Well I am not doing so hot right now. My mouth appears to be healing but 2 days ago I started experiencing a sore throat, itchy throat, itchy ears, bad metal taste, chin itching, eyes itching. I took allergy medication and it alleviates the symptoms, but comes back after wears off. I am trying really hard for this to work out I dont want to be allergic to the metals in my mouth. As of right now I know that both posts are straumann posts. I really didnt discuss with my oral surgeon indebt what the posts are made of he just told me titanium and that it is rare to be allergic. I called straumann and they said they are 4 grade titanium and thats all they could tell me according to FDA . My question is what are they usually made of ? I read vandium and aluminum,? my other question is the flat screw like cap that appears to be gold in the pic can this be titanium or probably sumthing else? Also when ever (if this goes further) I will then have to worry about the metal in the plate that will hold the 3-4 fake teeth on the posts? Then theres the acrylic, cement, ??, what about the abundment or cap? I'm not sure what to do can you please tell me what you think? I am really panicking help:( These are tonite pics of my healing hope it looks ok not sure ?

Attachments

• IMG_9177.jpg
    IMG_9177.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9163.jpg
    IMG_9163.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 17
It does look more inflammed than typical.
Are you using a mouthwash with chlorhexidine?
You should see your dentist and let him have a look.
Almost all implants are made out of titanium or an alloy that is almost all titanium and allergies are extremely rare. The cover screw(gold colored) is also titanium with a titanium nitride coating. The abutments and screws are also titanium but those will be covered by the bridge.
The bridge is typically a gold palladium alloy with porcelain baked on top. It is also possible to utilize a cad-cam fabricated zirconia pocelain structure. These are free of metal as it is a very durable ceramic.
Your allergies may have nothing to do with the implants.

Yes I am using chlorohexine mouthwash but I also alternate therasol non staining mouthwash and I also alternate act blue mouthwash (has alcohol) to help with the metal taste. I eat with my temporary on to kinda protect area from scraping. The only thing I noticed starting yesterday is left area where he did bone shifting (plastic surgery) hurts more when I move my lip or swallow sometimes. As for my allergies I'm gonna see how this goes I was hoping maybe its seasonal or maybe just sore throat due to this major change in my mouth. I have gotten them in past after extractions or gum work. Have you ever tested your patients for allergies? (for the metals or materials that will be used) Back to the inflammaton I have been using good dental hygiene but not sure if thats been enough. I will see my dentists if it gets worse. My oral surgeon appointment is not till nov 14th for follow up. what all your thoughts Oh and I fogot to mention I have been taking 500 mg pennicillin every 8 hours. I had bad gas problems from amoxicillin last time.

Most likely cause of allergies
1. seasonal
2 penicillin-*
3. chlorhexidine mouthwash- Do not rinse with anything after using

Well RP had mentioned that the culprit to my allergies may be the pennicillin. I remembered that prior to this about 6 months ago I took about a week of 250 mg of penicillin and was ok but this time I was taking 500 mg every 8 hours which is alot in my opinion. I wasnt sure if I should go back to my amoxcillin because a week n a half ago I took it for abcess molar and it gave me really bad stomach pains and extreme gas. I finally got all the gas out of me with maximum gas x, maloxx extra strength, and probiotics. But on a good note it cleared up my abcess infection very quickly better than penicillin. So back to the 500 mg penicillin I stopped it I didnt take it this morning and I think my symptoms got better I didnt take my antihistamine to see if it was the penicillin. So my new plan is that I'm switching back to amoxicillin 500 mg which should be good but with lots of gas x this time etc. I hope this helps with the pain too like it did my abcess. I am giving it 2 days and if no improvement I am going to my oral surgeon I wanted to see things out first. I am betting its the penicillin. I do have allergies to dust and wheat not sure of mold, but I wouldnt be surprised. I guess because I was taking a larger dose of penicillin this time it affected me. Anyway I will keep you all updated over the next days. Thank you RP and comfort dentist so much for your input. And no I dont rinse or eat after chlorohexine rinse although I have noticed it is making plaque appear more on the base of my front bottom teeth I try to scrape and use those little in between brushes. I just gotta make it thru this crucial time I can do this.

Last edited:
Allergy to Penicillin=allergy to amoxicillin same class
500mg of Penicillin every 8h is normal adult dose.

I think clindamycin maybe the alternative but I'm not a doc. I hate to even mention this but I sure as heck hope you are not smoking. I've read some conflicting opinions on chlorhexidine rinse and implants- that it might delay healing? It does stain plaque a nasty brown color.

Hang in there.....and again why delay calling the dentist or surgeon, or send off an email. I think they want your implants to be successful as much as you do.

TMI on the GI affects :giggle:

rp

No I do not smoke. I am not having Gi problems this time around I started taking amoxicillin last nite with gas x and maloxx I feel real good! No more itching , no more sore throat, no more itchy chest....I dont know why I had that going on with the penicillin. I know the amoxicillin is in the same family but I feel alot better. Now I feel confident this will be good after all. As for the chlorohexidine I only do it once daily and the other times I use act rinse. I plan on contacting my oral surgeon tommorow at office.

I went to the oral surgeon today and he looked at my mouth he said I look pretty good for it only being 10 days. I told him about my itchy eyes, sore throat, itchy chest episode and he told me to discontinue the antibiotic, he said I took enough and would be ok without one. I am still having itchy chest , alittle bit of itchy throat. So I will see by end of next week what state I am in. I truely hope it is seasonal allergies, or higher dose pennicillin I was taking. My husbands nasal allergies are acting up tonite as well.??? I live in northern virginia so I dont know. I will keep taking my antihistamine and keep moving forward.....

Back