• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

can regular implant posts be used later for dentures

Here are sum pics I took this morning of what my mouth looks like now. My next appointment is Nov 14th and I am not quite sure what is going to take place next with my oral surgeon. I talked to my dentist and he said because of the gum growing onto the caps he thinks that the oral surgery will use somekind of laser to smooth gum area down to smooth surface out.. ??I dont quite understand then he mentioned that at some point the oral surgeon will place healing caps that stick up and my temporary will be thinned out alittle to be able to wear it ontop of them...Comfortdentist can you kinda tell me what you usually do at this point , or maybe a pic of what healing caps look like? And you mentioned the bridge later would most likely be a gold alloy metal or strong porcelin what in your opinion is better? What do you use on your patients typically? Also how long till you think the gold flat caps I have on right now will be replaced with the healing caps?

Attachments

• IMG_9218.jpg
    IMG_9218.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9216.jpg
    IMG_9216.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 15
You have healing caps on now...............

Here are sum pics I took this morning of what my mouth looks like now. My next appointment is Nov 14th and I am not quite sure what is going to take place next with my oral surgeon. I talked to my dentist and he said because of the gum growing onto the caps he thinks that the oral surgery will use somekind of laser to smooth gum area down to smooth surface out.. ??I dont quite understand then he mentioned that at some point the oral surgeon will place healing caps that stick up and my temporary will be thinned out alittle to be able to wear it ontop of them...Comfortdentist can you kinda tell me what you usually do at this point , or maybe a pic of what healing caps look like? And you mentioned the bridge later would most likely be a gold alloy metal or strong porcelin what in your opinion is better? What do you use on your patients typically? Also how long till you think the gold flat caps I have on right now will be replaced with the healing caps?

Healing caps are also know as healing abutments they are ti screws that also have the same little hex or star on top and are about 3 mm tall. The gun just heals around them. I doubt that your surgeon will do anything with the gum until you are well healed. As to metal or not metal that is a decision for your restorative dentist and you can have a fine result with either.
As to time frame let your surgeon decide as he knows your situation the best but typically in this spot you wait a couple of months.

I'm not a dentist- just have several implants- but I think you want that extra gum tissue, especially in front- it gives your dentist something to work with as far as margins (crown meeting gum line) with the implant crowns. I needed to wait 8 to 12 weeks after implant for them to osseointegrate or fuse into the bone and bone grafts to heal before final crowns. The surgeon used a wrench like instrument to see if he could torque the implants (totally painless) and when they didn't budge- he said you're healed- go see the dentist.

rp

Comfortdentist- oh ok so I have caps on rt now but the next will be the 'healing abundment" , you dont think he will be replacing the current caps on this next appointment on nov 14th probably not for 2-3 more months right?

Your surgeon and only your surgeon can decide on the timing of events. I can only say what is typical.
You are finished with the difficult part from a patient's viewpoint. Although from a dentist viewpoint restoring the teeth is more difficult than placing the implants when there is bone present.
Placing healing abutments is very easy. It may pinch your gum a little.

Hello thank you for your last reply. I just wanted to firstly say I totally understand that my surgeon would be the one to decide on the timing of the events I appreciate your input it helps alleviate my anxiety by asking what you have seen in your patients just to have a better understanding. Thank you again. Well, currently my update is that I no longer have any type of allergies going on I feel much better. Secondly I went to my oral surgeon for follow up and everything is going well and healing I had no pain surprisingly when he applied sum pressure onto the tops of my posts. The only problem I am having currently is my temporary is really giving me a hard time right now. Well there are so many factors that are not letting it sit right in my mouth. Firstly I no longer have the rt back molar I used to use for an anchor due to removal cuz of an abscess 2 weeks prior to implant posts. Then you have the implant posts caps that are raised above the gum line. Then I now had that area of gum plastic surgery along with the bone in my jaw that was split/broken and redone some how (grafted). Now my surgeon had me make an appointment with my general dentist to get another adjustment on my temporary, the problem is that im not sure what else he can do to it. It is really thin already (the part that sits on the posts) . Comfortdentist I attached several pics of how it used to sit in my mouth if you compare the pics you see the before pic where my teeth and gum line , line up well with the temporary when I first got it to the one now where you can see the temporary sits higher. I dont know if I should suggests to my dentist to make another whole new one or wait cause then in about 2months or so the more raised abundments will be placed and then what will I do? What are your thoughts on my temporay deliema? It is high and it bothers the back of my two front top teeth? Also just to show you here are what my teeth looked like before the extractions of my bottom front teeth and also here is my update implant pic from today compared to the last one. I know these are just pics but would you as a dentist adjust any where on this temporary or just make another one and then adjust that one later too when abudments are placed?

Attachments

• IMG_8448.jpg
    IMG_8448.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9270.jpg
    IMG_9270.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9273.jpg
    IMG_9273.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9263.jpg
    IMG_9263.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9264.jpg
    IMG_9264.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 11
Here are the rest of the pics:

Attachments

• IMG_9268.jpg
    IMG_9268.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9269.jpg
    IMG_9269.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5676.jpg
    IMG_5676.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9218.jpg
    IMG_9218.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9220.jpg
    IMG_9220.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 13
The bite must be fine.
As I understand the oral surgeon placed longer healing abutments so now the temp partial doesn't sit right.
This is an easy fix. Your general dentist just grinds away some of the plastic from where it touches the abutments then does a soft reline.

Hello everyone well I went and had my temporary adjusted it fits good again. Tonite as I was brushing my teeth and scraping for plaque I noticed my healing cap moved from side to side with my salivaand was loose. I dont touch that area when I'm brushing etc but I do eat without my temporary. I dont have trouble eating without it. I am nervous about it coming more lose tonite I hope it does not come off in my sleep :( The other thing is that I hope my oral surgeon is availble tommorow. If I 'm not mistaken he just needs to tighten it again? What should I expect to happen? What tool does he use like pneumatic or manual wrench? I cant remember what he did during initial surgery? I hope I have this resolved by thanksgiving??o_O

Last edited:
You can finger tighten them until either dentist sees you. He will use what looks like a tiny torx tipped wrench and tighten them to about 10-15 N/cm

Back