• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Can sinus allergies really cause pain in teeth/fillings?

P

pet1984

I went to the dentist again today to address the dull ache I've felt in my upper right premolars and first molar since they were filled a month ago with amalgam. He has just adjusted them twice already, and today was the third adjustment (mainly in the molar since that ones has been feeling the most achey since the second adjustment). He took an x-ray of the upper right quad and he didn't see any immediate need for a root canal. The biggest aches seems to stem from molar #1, which occurs if I eat or if I don't eat.

He looked at upper molar #1 and spotted what he thought could be a hairline fracture. He had me bite down on a crack finder multiple times but alas no pain on my end. Oh, he also said he could just be a craze line.

So he filed down that molar's filling on the biting surface ("so they don't touch the bottom tooth at all anymore") some more. And he applied some fluoride varnish after. After waiting 30 minutes since the varnish was applied, I ate some mashed potatoes and a plain yogurt. No chewing on the right upper teeth. I'm too scared to risk it. In general, I haven't chewed on the right side for like a week, unless it was by accident. And even then, it's been soft foods such as mashed potatoes, overcooked pasta, yogurt, ramen, soft burritos, etc.

While looking at my x-rays on the computer, he commented that my sinus area was oddly colored/light in color, as if I had some ongoing allergies. He showed me his x-rays to compare. (It's kind of weird to see a dentist's x-rays and how they have way more cavities/fillings than you do... shouldn't a dentist have a generally healthier set of teeth than his patients?) Anyway, he said that my sinus area appear should appear a bit darker on an x-ray (to indicate a lack of allergies), and the sinus area on his x-rays were noticeably darker than mine. Is this even true? I live in Texas, which was hit with bad flooding earlier this year. My specific area was spared of serious damage, but there was a lot of rain and some floods. It left a lot of mold, and I had some terrible congestion and nasal problems for a while. I took some antibiotics for a bad infection back in April 2016 and it "resolved," but I still have occasional allergies with symptoms like some intermittent nasal congestion, sneezing, sniffling, intense headaches (temples, lower back of my head), coughing, and at times a little blood (like the rare one speck) in my nasal discharge after blowing my nose really hard. I haven't taken any medicine for the allergies as the medicine doesn't either work enough, or it makes me too drowsy. And a neti pot is so awkward for me to use - I can't angle it properly and get more water on the counter top than in my nose.

I could mention that I was using a powered water flosser on my teeth for the month, including those that had been filled recently. Sometimes I sprayed my teeth directly with the water flosser and I noticed my teeth hurt more after that. As of a few days ago, I have stopped using the water flosser to see if that'd help. Slightly but not entirely, and it might not even be related. I also took a break from my powered toothbrush and switched to my manual one. My dentist did say not to spray my teeth directly so...

All in all, my next fillings appointment is Oct. 26. He said to try to give the molar a few days to heal if it was just a high bite issue. In the meantime, I'm going to do something about my nasal congestion and see if that helps at all.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

drm

Verified dentist
If you've been having consistent congestion and sinus pressure it could definitely be causing that dull ache in your upper teeth. I see this pretty often, especially during allergy season. One easy way to test this is to bend over like you're getting ready to touch your toes (your head should be upside down) then straighten back up quickly. In most cases of a sinus toothache you'll notice some extra pressure / pain when you do this. Jumping jacks tend to make it hurt extra too.

Try taking a decongestant (with pseudoephedrine, NOT phenylephrine), take a hot shower with lots of steam, and attempt to use that neti pot again.

C

comfortdentist

Verified dentist
the posted xray is your front tooth not the premolar or molar

P

pet1984

If you've been having consistent congestion and sinus pressure it could definitely be causing that dull ache in your upper teeth. I see this pretty often, especially during allergy season. One easy way to test this is to bend over like you're getting ready to touch your toes (your head should be upside down) then straighten back up quickly. In most cases of a sinus toothache you'll notice some extra pressure / pain when you do this. Jumping jacks tend to make it hurt extra too.

Try taking a decongestant (with pseudoephedrine, NOT phenylephrine), take a hot shower with lots of steam, and attempt to use that neti pot again.
I've been congested for months, but it's not that extreme. I mean, I can breathe through my nostrils just fine. I do cough up stuff (nothing dark or discolored) every day, but again, nothing extreme. I stopped eating dairy for a long period and recently resumed eating it. I notice my discharge is more white/thicker as a result of eating cheese and yogurt.

I've been taking pseudoephedrine (makes me drowsy during the day, and restless at night) and Singulair (no side effects) for the last two days since I saw my dentist. I will say the dull ache in my upper right molar area isn't as bad as it was previously, but it's still there. So I'm not sure if it's actually sinus related or was because of a high bite (which was adjusted the third time two days ago). I still have some allergies and am sneezing so Occam's razor perhaps.

And yes, I do feel more pressure after bending over and coming back up. I do this when I warm up for my daily 20 minutes on the treadmill.

Last edited:
P

pet1984

So... I tried my neti pot again. Lifting it higher definitely made it less awkward to use. I think it's been three months since I bought it so I ended up replacing it tonight with a NeilMed.

450.jpg

The cleaning process before using it (or a neti pot) every time is a bit time consuming (yet understandable), but I did feel some relief on my upper molars after using it. However, I brushed my teeth with my electric toothbrush after only using my manual for the last few days before I used the NeilMed again prior to bedtime. Big mistake. It made my teeth (with fillings) noticeably ache before I used the NeilMed. :/ So I'm concluding that my electric toothbrush is also a culprit in the dull ache in my left upper teeth.

I have this brand of electric toothbrush.

817zt-2qTmL._SX522_.jpg

Cost me $20 (it was on sale) so it's a not a huge monetary loss. I wish I'd known it was too powerful for my restored teeth. The bigger shame is that I'll miss how clean it made my teeth. Unlike a manual brush, I could clean without making any back and forth strokes, etc. And it had a timer. I'm too scared to try another electric toothbrush.

I use a manual designed for receding gums so it's supposed to be gentle. Not sure if it's as effective as the powered brush.

51PVk2d2BSL._SX522_.jpg

At this point, maybe I should just invest in a baby's toothbrush. :shame:

As for the sinus issues: I got an air purifier, dusted my room, changed the sheets, and bought a hypoallergenic casing for my memory foam pillow. Hopefully this helps. Also ate a ton of garlic tonight since that supposedly helps.

After my recent root canal on the lower premolar, the dentist gave me amoxicillin 500mg/2x a day (and previously, my doctor gave me amoxicillin clavulanate for a general infection... which I now think was stemming from my sinus problems) so I'm maxed out on antibiotics for now. No point in going back to the doctor because he'll just prescribe another antibiotic (or he won't). Seems like most sinus infections don't respond to antibiotics anyway... which is probably why my sinus inflammation is still intact after two weeks of amoxicillin 500mg. I'm scared I've already developed some kind of resistance to antibiotics, sigh.

T

Tink

pet1984 said:
Your response is confusing me. Why would I consult someone about prosthodontics and implants? That doesn't seem to relate to my original issues.
Hi pet - that post is just spam, it will probably be deleted soon enough!

T

Tink

Meanwhile, re your post - an electric toothbrush shouldn't be damaging your teeth unless you are pressing too hard (easily done!) - did your dentist tell you you had to stop using it? Note that softer brush heads are also available for electric toothbrushes if that helps, and your dentist/hygienist should be able to show you how to brush and how hard you should(n't) be pressing. Basically, you just hold the bristles gently to your teeth and let the brush do the work, you don't put any pressure behind it at all.

FearfulInMA

FearfulInMA

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have deleted the spam post. Pet - I also deleted your response as it had the original so post quoted. Thanks, Tink for pointing out the spam!

S

scarface19

I am passing through same situation. I bit on a bone by mistake and I keep getting pain above my premolar when not eating. The dentist asked me to bite on a kind of cotton to see if it hurts.... but nothing. They took me an xray and no cracks are visible.

The most possible explanation is sinus infection but I don't believe it... been with this issue since July and it happened since I bit hard on that bone.

I also did a maxillofacial surgery so in the area where I feel pain there are titanium plates screwed which does make me to worry more.

I do not know what to do :(

P

pet1984

Well, I gave in and made an appointment with my doctor tomorrow afternoon. I imagine he could at least confirm it's a sinus issue, not dental. I mean, if my dentist hasn't found just cause with the premolar fillings and molar #1 filling after three adjustments, and he suspects it's allergy related because of the maxillary area on my x-rays being gray as opposed to black, then the simplest reason I can think of is sinuses. The sensation I feel comes from the upper molar region anyway, not the premolars. The fact that I had fillings on some upper teeth seemed like a confusing coincidence.

I feel more of a pressure on my upper back molars than an actual sharp toothache of sorts. Along with the stuffiness, a tired jaw, all day headaches, and pressure in my forehead and sometimes around my eyes, I'm concluding this is a sinus problem, not dental. It's been over a few weeks (maybe over several months if I'm considering the previous issues even before I went to the dentist back in mid-August) and I'm just done feeling terribly on and off. I work 7 days a week alone to provide for my mother and I can't continue doing that if I'm sick myself.

My nasal discharge is clear and not discolored yet I feel congestion welling up in my throat when I do a nasal rinse. Speaking of, I do feel a minor bit of relief in the teeth when I do the rinse. Even more so (albeit temporarily) when I suck on a menthol lozenge. I just don't think the rinsing is enough at this point (it's been a week). I don't know if my doctor will prescribe another antibiotic (amoxicillin clavulanate and amoxicillin have had no effect), and the side effects I've read online for the stronger antibiotics (i.e. Levaquin) are admittedly scary.

I read on another site about a patient who felt that her bite changed overnight, and her upper molars hurt, too. Her dentist didn't find a dental cause and it turned out that it was a maxillary sinus infection all along. The sinuses pushed so much onto her teeth that it almost seemed like it changed her bite. Well, I can only hope this is the case for me as well. I want to feel better.