• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Can sinuses affect wisdom tooth extraction healing?

L

llamaduck49

A bit of background:
I have chronic allergies (most likely sinusitis). I am also frustrated and anxious as to why there's still pain.

I've had my upper wisdom tooth extracted almost 5 weeks ago. The extraction site is a bit inflamed, compared to the other upper molar which is healing quite nicely.
Oral surgeon + Dentist says they don't see any infection & seems to be healing fine, just a bit slower compared to the other side. Oral surgeon also says that there's no sinus communication present. He prescribed me diclofenac and a muscle relaxer.

The tooth beside the extraction is also quite sore. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone? Are my sinuses causing it to be inflamed?

Thanks!

Last edited:
BoxerMom

BoxerMom

Mandatory “I’m not a dentist” - but it’s possible that the one that’s still sore may have been a more difficult or more invasive extraction than the other one. And you’ve have both the oral surgeon and the dentist take a look and no bad news. I had extractions a year ago and one site still hasn’t completely closed up. It’s healed but it healed differently than the others. The prescription you were given is an anti-inflammation drug and should help.