• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can someone help quell my anxiety?

J

JasmineTilde

Okay, so I don't know how to say this without sounding crazy, but...I'm eighteen and I have severe anxiety and I've been somehow projecting that into my oral health.

I was afraid of dentists as a child and rarely visited, coming from a poor family, and my oral hygiene wasn't the best; I often neglected it. I've been trying to rectify that these past few months.

I noticed a few small-ish cavities in my back teeth (only one chipped actually and caused my severe pain a few years ago, these just are visible dark flecks), so I'm scheduling a dentist's appointment at some point in December to have them looked at and treated, after years of avoiding dentists like the plague.

My front teeth look fine and feel fairly strong, but I've been obsessing over and trying to find imperfections, picking up on any slight sensitivity and worrying I will lose them at random, and I just can't shake this fear, and it's causing me a lot of distress. I'm not sure how to calm myself in the meantime.

An I being irrational? Would I be able to telll if my front teeth were at risk of rotting or falling out?

Like, here are my front teeth: http://m.imgur.com/2R11xbB.jpg

A few of the back ones have visible cavities, one is chipped, and I'm just so embarassed about them. :(

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to the forum! You'll find you're not alone here - many people's anxiety manifests in fear about their oral health.

Before we've been examined by a dentist, it's very common to fear the complete worst. You most likely would know if something was very wrong, as your teeth have nerves in them, and when they are damaged, that's what causes the pain. And you're only 18, so I doubt it will have gotten that bad. :p

Even though it's a source for anxiety, it is good that you've picked up better habits, because it's never too late! Brushing and flossing will be extremely beneficial. Continue to do that, and remind yourself that you're taking good care of them now, so even if you need the odd filling, your mouth is already healthier overall. Focus on the positives instead of fearing the worst. And if you can, try not to examine your teeth obsessively in the mirror. You'll only feed the fear, and notice tiny things that are probably very normal and worry that they're a sign of something wrong.

:hug4:

Back