• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can someone please help me? (US)

Re: Can someone please help me?

I can't hide the fact that having a young attractive blonde dentist makes looking up much easier! ;-)

LOL :p - I believe it's known as "excitation transfer theory", or so I've been told ;)

Your posts are a great source of inspiration :) - fantastic to hear that things are going so well :cheers: ! Congratulations yet again!!!

I owe all an apology for not posting in so long. Many things have changeg, and I'm very happy to say that's it's all for the better. Since my last update I've been visiting the Dr weekly, with 1.5-2 hour appointments not so uncommon.

The much needed dental work in the front of my mouth has been completed and we've moved on to the rear.

I had to have one wisdom tooth <or what remained of it> extracted, and that truly was something I really feared. Yet, the trust I've gained allowed me to do it without any pre-medication. The Dr was very candid and explained that she had no desire to cause me any pain. She suggested that I allow another Dr to do the extraction, but in her office. I agreed, though very reluctant.

After arriving about 30 minutes early, she got me rather numb. He arrived and suggested he use some nitrous to make sure I felt nothing. Again, I reluctantly agreed, though not knowing what to expect. I was sitting there inhaling, though I honestly didn't feel any different. After about 5 minutes, the Dr assumed I was "comfortable", and explained he was going to push a bit, though I won't feel any pain. I heard some "crunching" and in about 20 seconds he just said, "OK". No sooner dis he say that, my Dr came in and said, OK, shall we start. He looked at her and told her, "I'm done". Much to my amazement, she commebted that she hadn't yet started the nitrous! I was inhaling oxygen! I left the office, with NO pain, and didn't experience any discomfort in the days that followed. I still can't believe it was that simple!

THe road ahead is still long, but I've experienced just about every dental procedure she can do. I can honestly say that nothing even approaced the horror I imagined and so far, any discomfort has been so minimal that a few advil did the trick.

Now with this behind me, somehow I need to try and help others here.

What can I say, but thanks for the support and encouragement.

Now with this behind me, somehow I need to try and help others here.

I think that's what you've just done :)

Yes! You have already!
I haven't been yet, still waiting for insurance but between you and my email friend from another dental forum, I'm getting very anxious to go!

Please keep up with the posts! You have been a big inspiration to me!

Numb!

Oh my goodness!! I just read this whole post from start to finish and am just sitting here in shock! Your one of the bravest people I have met (ok..well not met met LOL) Your story is just amazing! and touched me so much..it is going to be a lifeline for me..I can just feel it.

Thank-you so much for taking the time to share and keep us updated. It truly give me hope that I can someday soon start the work that is needed to smile with confidence. You truly are an inspiration...so thanks again for shareing your bravery!

Your wife is truly a lucky woman!

NO, I disagree. I'm lucky to have her. She works for the Dr and without her I'd be toothless!

For those of you just reading this, you have to believe me that the way things are done has changed. New tools and techniques have removed most of the pain. The key is to find a dentist who is using state of the art technology. Communicate your fears and worries and proceed very slowly. If they are unwilling, go elsewhere.

I'll keep you posted.

that's something of a dilemma...I'm currently considering a dentist who comes very highly recommended for his treatment of phobics...however, I'm not sure how advanced his technology might be!
So what's best?? State-of-the-art equipment, or empathy-with-heart from the dentist?
PS Numbwithfear...I've followed every detail of your story (so similar to my own) since I joined here...you're an inspiration! I hope mine ends the same way...

You've brought up a very good question there, Den... while I can't give a definitive answer, I'll share my thoughts on it.

In my view, it's not so much about technology but about what you do with it. A dentist may have lots of the latest gizmos, but not achieve results as good as someone who uses more "traditional" equipment.

I'll give a concrete example: there is a device called "diagnodent" which can be used to detect decay. It sort of works on digital readings (don't ask me how!) and unlike the traditional "explorer", doesn't have a sharp end. Some dentists will overdiagnose decay using the diagnodent, because they rely solely on the readings without taking any additional info into account - such as how prone the person has been in the past, the person's diet, etc. The diagnodent can "misdiagnose" lesions because it will give out readings which would indicate the need for treatment, when no treatment is necessary. Why? Because it cannot distinguish between active decay and arrested decay (a lesion that has "healed" or remineralized by itself). So modern gizmos can be misused, and you might get a more accurate diagnosis from a dentist who uses traditional methods and clinical expertise.

"Traditional" equipment (such as handpieces) is often state-of-the-art, because this stuff has to be replaced relatively frequently (it doesn't last forever). So it's highly unlikely that the equipment you'll get to see will look anything like what you encountered 10 or 20 or 30 years ago. If it does, you might be in the wrong place :p.

Things like lasers, while pretty cool and nifty, are very thin on the ground - very few dentists use them at present (though it depends on where you live as well). They're very expensive and making a return on the initial investment can be very hard.

Basically, the vast majority dentists use modern equipment, but very few have all the latest technologies. If you feel, from looking at a dentist's office, that it's not up to scratch (and the worst tell-tale sign is that it doesn't look clean and instruments are laid out in plain sight), you don't want to be treated by that dentist and it's time to find someone else.

Just my two cents worth - others may have different opinions :)

I sincerely apologize for not keeping you all updated, but it's been a very busy summer here in the U.S. My dental work is proceeding without any problems. In fact, I suspec all the necessary work will be done in the next few weeks.

My fears, phobias and the anxiety that prevented me from seking help sooner are behind me. While I NEVER thought I would be able to say it, going to the dentist is now as easy as going for a haircut!

For those of you who haven't taken the time to read through my comments, please do so. If I can do it - so can you! E-mail me and I'll be happy to give you some one-on-one coaching. Seriously, I've experienced the heart pounding, panic attacks and sleepless nights. For all the support I received from this site, it's the least I can do!

hey numb
your post are somthing everyone here should read.i felt like i was in the office with you..i havn't gone to the dentist in like ten years.i have no fear
of pain or needles .i have panic attacks and because my top 4 teeth are cracked im embarrased ,totallt embarrased.i made an appointment today.i found a dentist office that 2 older dentist
run.i dont want any people my age to see the shape of my teeth.i visit therapist for panic attacks and know a couple people wit ptsd,i think u would get a lot of help talking with them for what happened.u beat the going to the dentist part
and u would make it through dealing with what happened to u when u were young..u r one to look up to on this board.your post have giving me hope..thank you
mike

Back