• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

can tea stain teeth unevenly with braces?

O

olanda

well, eight months into brace treatment (another year-ish to go perhaps) i've only just thought of asking this question!!

i drink **A LOT** of tea during the day, with no sugar and some milk.

i'm not worried about decay from this, but i've recently become worried that because i've got the bracket-things stuck to my teeth, i might be staining the parts of my teeth without brackets and not the parts with brackets, resulting in straight teeth but patchy colours when the braces finally come off.

should i switch to a herbal tea (which will be sooooo difficult for me, but possible!) whilst i'm still in braces??

btw, i'm not concerned about having sparkling white 'hollywood' teeth, so i don't need to stop tea altogether forever, i'm just worried about having patchy teeth, hence the question!

hi
any staining from tea should be easily polished off when the braces come off.
tea with no sugar will not cause decay- in fact tea has quite alot of fluoride in it!
regards
dr mike

Hi olanda

I too drink gallons of tea a day - with milk and sugar :o

I had my monthly cleaning and tightening when I had my braces and a final clean when the braces came off - no stains at all.

;D

Herbal tea is worse for staining than normal tea with milk.

thanks for the comments everyone! it's so nice to know i can drink tea worry-free! :) although supposedly relaxing it was beginning to become a bit anxiety-provoking for me ;)

Back