• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can temporary denture be made the day it is fitted?

M

Mands

I posted a few days ago in the support forum regarding my fears and current problem (need a front root which is crowned pulling out, and replaced with a temporary denture on the same day). I was given an appointment for the procedure this coming Tuesday with the dentist who does iv sedation.

However, I have been reading back through some very old posts, and read that the partial denture cannot be made on the same day. Is this true? The dentist I saw definitely said the denture would be put in immediately after the extraction. I have not had any impressions taken. Have I completely misunderstood, and maybe they aren't doing the procedure at this next appointment? Or can they do the impression and make the denture on the same day? Thanks in advance.

Hello Mands

Dont know the specific answer to your question, but if you have been reading through very old posts, chances are that things have come along in leaps and bounds. I can't off the top of my head remember whether I have read any posts where temporary denture can be made on the same day, but I will keep finger's x'd that you will be pleasantly surprised, and walk away with your temporary in place.

Let us know xx

My sister was going to have her denture put in on the day of removal but she had impressions done before. Her dentist sent off for here denture to be made.

I would think that if your dentist has said that he will do it, he will. I would ring them up and make sure before you go though then if it cannot be done on the same day then you need to arrange for the impressions to be taken and it to be made before you go.

Do you have a plate already with some teeth on, as to add a tooth to a denture is doable.

Let us know how you get on.

No, I've never had a denture before. The dentist I saw last week said she couldn't do the iv sedation, so I would be seeing the head guy in the practice, and the appointment was made with him for next Tuesday. I've got an awful feeling now that maybe I've psyched myself up for this tooth pulling, and arranged for my son to have the day off work to accompany me, and maybe it's not gonna happen. Perhaps the appointment is for impressions. I'm sure she didn't say that, but who knows, I was in a bit of a state. Guess I'm gonna have to call them on Monday. Thanks for your responses. If there's a dentist online, maybe he could tell me if it can be done the same day?

Gordon - comfortdentist - lincoln??? please?? and thank you xx

I just made the call, and it turns out the appointment is for an inspection only. Clearly I jumped the gun lol. In a way I'm disappointed that I'm not going to get it all over and done with tomorrow, and I feel bad that my son has booked an unnecessary day off work, but it's probably a good thing. I haven't met this dentist before, so at least I'll get a chance to see what he's like and if I feel I can trust him before he does anything. I'm hoping I can get gas and air for the inspection, I even hate those, and I have a little pain and sensitivity in another tooth, I hate them poking around in there :(

How did you get on Mands?

How did you get on Mands?

Hi Kim, thanks for asking :)
Well, I got there, after spending a restless night trying to talk myself out of it. I can't quite make up my mind if I like the dentist I saw (not the one I expected to see, though he is qualified to do the sedation, and he's been there years apparently). He didn't say very much. Did a very gentle inspection, and took an xray just to confirm that the tooth needs to come out. He did say he would try to get it done in a short time frame over the next couple of weeks, so I wouldn't be stressed out for too long. I have to go back for an impression tomorrow, and I think he said there would be one more impression after that before the actual procedure.

There was an iffy moment when the nurse took my blood pressure (to make sure I would be ok for the sedation I think she said), it was way too high, and the dentist just looked at her and shook his head. I do have high bp but it is normally well controlled with medication. I explained that I had got myself worked up over the appointment. She gave me a few minutes (deep slow breathing lol), and checked it again. It had come down thankfully. It wasn't until I came out that I realised he hadn't told me what else needs doing. Maybe he thought I wouldn't go back if he told me lol.

I think the dentist you saw sounds very nice, he did consider you and was thinking of not stressing you out further than he could see you were. He has told you what is going to happen and is doing it as soon as he can. They know that bp rises when we get near them and I think you will be fine with this man. Lucky you to have someone so considerate and gentle.

WELL DONE YOU :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

Carole, thanks for the encouragement :) I'm hoping you're right about this dentist. I feel a bit better about him after yesterday's appointment for the impressions, even though it was unpleasant, he was reassuring. I can't actually believe I've stepped through the door 3 times now since 30th Dec. Feeling pretty good about myself for doing that. I still have the dreaded treatment day to face, but I'm determined to do it. Thanks to everyone on here for sharing your stories and offering support.

Well done you hun - I know the first time I had my bp taken - it was through the roof, same as you, it did come down and all was good - it doesn't totally feel like it at the moment, but every time you walk out of that surgery and you have had something done, you will feel sooooo much better, and will get to where you need to be with the help of a lovely considerate dentist xx

Back