• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can u recommend a dentist in the Northwhich(ish) area (Cheshire) ..Please can someone help??

E

EwanF

Can u recommend a dentist in the Northwhich(ish) area (Cheshire) ..Please can someone help??

Hi there, I happened upon this forum whils trying to find a recommended dentist in my area (Northwich in Cheshire) and after reading a lot of the stories on here it feels like I'm in the right place. I am, to put it mildly, slightly terrified of going. I havent been for about 20 years as the school dentist I had was awful. It seems a common story of bad childhood dentists turning now grown men into gibbering wrecks. My story is no different. I now have no choice but to go as I broke a molar last night and I fear it will start to hurt if I don't get it dealt with. I have had pain in my back teeth anyway for some years now so I think perhaps it was a blessing in disguise that I broke one last night.

Anyway, after reading much of this forum, I'm thinking possibly the sedation route is going to be the most likely for me. However, if it is possible then I would like a general anaesthetic and get all the work done in one go. Is this something that can be done? I can't read any more websites as it's making me physically sick.

Can anybody recommend a good dentist in my vague area that would be sympathetic to my situation as I have been looking at websites' "testimonials" but am always wary of those posted on their own websites by the website owner? I'd also like someone who uses the Wand as I also cannot stand injections in my mouth either.

If anyone could help I would be very appreciative as I am beginning to mildly panic now.

Many thanks,

Ewan

Re: Can u recommend a dentist in the Northwhich(ish) area (Cheshire) ..Please can someone help??

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

If there aren't any dentists recommended on here that you could go to. If you go on the nhs choices website and just put Cheshire in the location also tick accepting new patients too, see if there are any there that you could contact either by phone or email. Explain how you feel and see what they can offer you.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: Let us know how you get on

Re: Can u recommend a dentist in the Northwhich(ish) area (Cheshire) ..Please can someone help??

Thanks for the welcome and the reply Carole! It is much appreciated.

I can't afford to go private and nearly all the places I've read about seem to be private ones sadly. I'd love to have the money to afford it!

I did see one for Beech Road Dental in Hartford back in Feb 2012 which had a short message to say the lady there was excellent so I have Emailed them. It didnt say though why she was excellent. I will do as you suggest though and see what comes of that...

Thanks!
:scared::scared:

I hope you get a reply soon, you can write to as many as you want to then go through the replies and see which ones appeal to you. On the first appointment they usually just have a look and maybe take an x ray, it is like a meet and greet. If you feel comfortable with the dentist that is good, but if not don't go back have a look for another.

When I had a look on the nhs website for Cheshire and I ticked the accepting new patients box a lot of dentist came up, but it depends where you are able to travel to. You can go out of your area.

Let us know how you get on good luck :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

I have sent a few out now. I will have a look at some more tomorrow night. I think I've had enough of dentists for one day!

Thanks again for your help, will let you know what happens....

:o

Just do everything at a pace you find comfortable and that you can deal with. The important thing is to know you have choices.

GOOD LUCK :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

Well, after trying to find reviews for local Northwich dentists found from the above website, I ended up calling the surgery this morning that had been mentioned once before on this forum. They were able to fit me in this afternoon due to a cancelation, so I have been for an initial visit. My sense of relief is immense. It turns out that after 20 years of non attendance, my teeth are not in as bad shape as I had imagined and I only need one tiny filling, and the tooth that I broek might be saved if it can be drilled sufficiently. She said it was very deep but didnt look like it had got the nerve, so fingers crossed it hasnt. Will only know when she gets drilling but if it needs to come out then so be it.

The other x rays came back ok. Gums all fine too. Shocked and relieved at the same time!! Does beg the question why I get pain in my other teeth though. They are super-sensitive so will ask about that next time.

Im going back in 2 weeks for the tiny filling and the deep filling / slash extraction, so I'm somewhat worried about that, but not as much as I thought I would be. She said they numb my gums with gel before injecting or "freezing" as she put it? Presumably thats the same thing? And will stop if I need to etc.

So, overall, somewhat less panicked and a little more relaxed about it. I hope thats still the case when I go back!!

Ewan
:)

Glad to here you had a good first visit.

Teeth are never as bad as you've built them up in your head.

You obviously take care of your teeth well having gone 20 years without visits to the dentist. The local anesthetic is nothing to be afraid of, and you can always ask for more if you even feel the slightest twinge.

It's great stuff the dentists have now these days. Good Luck with the fillings.

I am so glad you have found a dentist and have even been to see them :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

The gel is something they put on a cotton roll and rub it on your gum for a few minutes that numbs the gum, not the tooth. They then do the injection and you shouldn't feel it, but if you do it will be for a second but it won't hurt. If she injects really slowly you won't feel a thing. When we do feel it, it isn't the needle it is the medicine inside that causes the discomfort. I don't think you will feel a thing.

Your dentist sounds lovely and patient, bet you didn't think at this time last week you would have been to see a dentist and arranged for the treatment to be done. If you feel anything when she is drilling tell her and she can give you more stuff. Try not to worry you will be okay.

You have done really well :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: good for you for going :cheer::cheer::cheer::yayy::dance2::dance2::dance2::wow::yay::yay::yay::cheer2::dance2::dance2::dance2::thumbsup!::waves::butterfly:

Many thanks both of you, I am rather pleased!

I will definitely be going regularly after all this for check ups etc too.

Thanks again,

Ewan
:grin:

Well your dental visit has to be a record on here from the 21st sat all worried and asking if anyone knew of any dentists near to you to going and seeing a wonderful new dentist by the 24th.

When you decide to go you don't mess about do you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am really pleased for you, don't lose this dentist she is a keeper :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::cheer::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance::butterfly:

I know, after 20 odd years too! I think I'd just had enough and had to get it done. After reading posts on here and your replies etc I began to realise that maybe it wasnt going to be as bad as I thought. I was lucky with the appointment as I was expecting to have to wait for a while but thankfully they managed to fit me in last minute. She seems OK too so I think Ive been somewhat lucky really.

Im going back on Thursday next week for the fillings / extraction so will see what happens then I think!

Another great thing to come of it is that after being told that my teeth are actually OK, I decided to work out why I have sensitve teeth and get pain when I eat things like chocolate. Well, I've been using Sensodyne for a week now and I hardly get any pain at all anymore. I never bothered before as I thought they were just rotten teeth and that was causing the pain, but I'm gobsmacked that it actually does seem to work. I do grind my teeth too so will be asking to get fitted for a mouth guard but it really has made a whopping difference. Genuinely shocked, again! I think after next week and after my new Sonicare and soft brush heads have turned up I wil be sorted!

Fingers crossed!!

:jump::jump::jump::jump:

Back