• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can you get any kind of disease from a bone graft?

S

sharon

I never thought about this until I was listening to a radio program this AM on organ transplants.

I'm thinking mostly of HIV but also in general anything else. I have no idea where the bone is coming from other than it isn't coming from me. My understanding it is can be from a cow, a cadever, a live donor or possibly synthetic bone(?). I didn't ask where it is coming from as really don't want to know. But now I'm worried about getting some kind of disease. Is it at all possible? If it's from a cadevar or live donor (or even cow I supppose) do they test for HIV or anything else?

I am sure they will make sure that the bone they use is healthy and clean before using it on you. It wouldn't make sense to give you something that would cause you to need further medical intervention when they are trying to help you with this solution not cause you illness.

Good luck you will be fine :butterfly:

Hi Sharon,

I haven't heard of any kind of diseases passed along by any of the forms of bone grafting. As Carole mentioned, I'm sure that if you were to have donor grafting (versus synthetic material) it would be properly sterilized so there would be no risk to you. I had an implant with synthetic material used in the bone grafting and have had no issues whatsoever. I'm sure you won't have any either - wishing you much :clover: for an easy procedure.

not an issue had one myself

Back