• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can you get wisdom teeth removed without IV sedation

R

Rhi1234

Hello, Im 17 years old and I really don’t want to get IV sedation or general anaesthetic to get my wisdom teeth removed, I don’t have impacted teeth and I need 4 removed, I am ok with getting the injections in my mouth for pain. they are starting to hurt now but my oral surgeon said “there’s too much going on” for me not to get the IV sedation but is it still safe not to get the IV sedation, only the needles in the mouth for pain ? What can I expect if I don’t get the iv sedation? Thankyou

Hi sorry I forgot to add, if that’s not a good idea to not get IV sedation, is it better to get 4 teeth removed (again just with pain needles) and then let my wisdom teeth grow through in those spots (then get braces to straighten my wisdom teeth)

It's difficult to answer without knowing what your oral surgeon means when he says "there’s too much going on".

It's difficult to answer without knowing what your oral surgeon means when he says "there’s too much going on".
hi he means just the removal of wisdom teeth in general

If your teeth are impacted, it's stuck in your bone or in your gum. That means they will have to cut that to access your teeth, which is probably what they have in mind when talking about "too much going on". You would need to know why the surgeon recommends IV.

It might be for your own comfort, in that case maybe you need to push a bit more for only using local.
It might be your surgeon's comfort. By that I mean he might not be comfortable doing the extractions knowing you will be fully aware. Maybe going with another surgeon you will find one that can do the extractions with just a local.

As for extracting other teeth, I guess it might be an option. But a dentist would need to evaluate if you will have enough space to have the wisdom teeth come out normally and if it's possible for the wisdom teeth to take their position. Also, your wisdom teeth would need to still be in good shape for this to happen.

Hi there, I can see no problem having all 4 wisdoms extracted with just a local, especially if YOU are fine with that. You can basically do any surgeries with just a local if that's what you prefer.
Your surgeon should make the surgery fit your needs, not otherwise, so if they push you into iv but you would like to go without, just find an another surgeon. Most of the dentists should be happy to have a patient who just wants a local - it's quicker and easier. "there's too much going on" sounds quite shallow to me. By the way, it's impressive that you, at your age are taking conscious choices about how would you like to have your procedure done, well done for that.

All the best wishes and keep us posted.

Hi sorry I forgot to mention, he said my wisdom teeth are in my jaw, does that matter at all?

I had mine out with just local. 2 of them were ‘full boney impacted’ (the 2 bottom ones). This means they were in the jaw like yours. It took me a long time to find an oral surgeon who would do the extractions with just local. I also ended up having to have it done in 2 sessions because one of the bottom ones took so much local that I was at the maximum dose. Also, I never got fully numb for either of the bottom ones. I also was terrified lf IV sedation - I wish I wasn’t because the experience was really, really difficult.

If you have impacted wisdom teeth they are not likely going to just grow in and they can cause infections and damage to neighboring teeth. That’s probably why they are recommending to remove them.

It is possible, depending on how difficult they are to remove. Mine were all fully impacted, and I had to have local, as the surgeon said he wasn't sure how difficult would get once he was in there.

My husband had all four impacted and absolutely refused anything but local anesthetic. He is terrified of anything that puts him out, or makes it where he can't remember the surgery. His surgeon griped about it, but ultimately did it. He was 17 at the time.

I would ask your surgeon to explain to you exactly why they feel you need IV sedation. If it is truly just for your comfort, then you can push for local. They may have reasons that they want local.

Hi im 21. I got mine out about 2 months ago no iv. My oral surgeon was totally fine with me not wanting the iv just having local. He did 8 injections 2 for each tooth and one hurt so bad because they had to hit a nerve for the lower left jaw. Didnt feel any come out and it didnt take long at all however i had the worst pain ever and what not when everything wore off, which apparently doesnt happen if you get the iv. hope it all goes good .

Hi im 21. I got mine out about 2 months ago no iv. My oral surgeon was totally fine with me not wanting the iv just having local. He did 8 injections 2 for each tooth and one hurt so bad because they had to hit a nerve for the lower left jaw. Didnt feel any come out and it didnt take long at all however i had the worst pain ever and what not when everything wore off, which apparently doesnt happen if you get the iv. hope it all goes good .

Sorry to read you had such a pain. To prevent this, many dentists advise people to take their first pain killer already before the appointment and then after the procedure immediatelly once things start feel sensitive. In this way the afterpain can be managed. I had my wisdom teeth out with just a local and had no pain afterwards.

I think post-op pain can vary greatly depending on a number of factors including how difficult the extractions were, when/why type of pain meds are taken, personal pain tolerance. I have a very high pain tolerance, and took ibuprofen before and shortly after, but still had awful pain. This is likely due to the fact that the extractions were very difficult (fully impacted) and caused a lot of soft tissue damage.

Back