• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can you put off a crowning for 3+ months?

J

Jerbsinator

Well as of right now the condition of my teeth and how they feel I am thinking I will need at least one root canal, possibly two. Both of these would be on my last molar on the top left and right side of my mouth, the left one being the worst. I'm not going to discuss my symptoms as I have already in another thread but I have a question about the aftercare of a root canal. Right now I can probably afford a root canal...maybe two but I will just do one for now, I hope my other tooth can hold out until then. However I don't think I can afford a crown, let alone two crowns. Would it be possible for me to get a permanent filling and have the tooth crowned in 3 - 6 months instead? I remember my dentist mentioned I have big teeth and I am wondering if maybe they could hold up for a while without a crown. I just cannot afford it right now.

After a rct they usually like to wait about 6 months before putting a crown on just to make sure things are settled so this shouldn't be a problem. You do have to take care not to eat anything hard and try to eat on the other side of your mouth until you get a crown on. :butterfly:

You can put off the crown(s) after you receive the root canal(s), but you run the risk of breaking off the tooth as it is now much more fragile. When I had my root canal done, I waited about 9 months for my insurance to reset before having the crown done. You just have to be VERY careful chewing until after the crowns are completed.

Yes, but be careful. The American academy of endodontists recommends getting a permanent restoration within 2 months of root canal treatment to maximize the chance of success.

Back